06 July 2015 "This Is a Bonus Comic"

Discuss the comic here!
thesilence
Speaks Quietly

06 July 2015 "This Is a Bonus Comic"

Post by thesilence » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:04 pm

http://www.goblinscomic.org/07062015/

Okay....we are glad that there was SOME logic behind this character detail, and as usual THunt's ability to mythologize is as marvelous as his artwork. But dear dwarven gods, the concept behind that monster is UNBELIEVABLY contrived and ridiculous. Our suspension of disbelief is now sobbing in a corner.

Although, this might be redeemed somewhat - only somewhat - in our eyes, if we assume that The Beast is somehow tied to the same power source as Oblivious, as they have in common the quality of being empowered by ignorance. Had Oblivious been designed to be what it is, we could believe a particular wizard with a grudge against his fellow know-it-alls might have been involved; instead, perhaps the Beast is some side effect of Psimax's meddling with Oblivion?
Last edited by thesilence on Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ÔÇ£I would give no thought of what the world might say of me, if I could only transmit to posterity the reputation of an honest man.ÔÇØ --Sam Houston

ChroniclerC
Mumbles Incoherently

Re: 07-06-15 "This Is a Bonus Comic"

Post by ChroniclerC » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:07 pm

Arbitrary and self-defined rule about what can defeat it? That's not a demon, that's a Fey. It's coming for the children.

thesilence
Speaks Quietly

Re: 07-06-15 "This Is a Bonus Comic"

Post by thesilence » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:11 pm

ChroniclerC wrote:Arbitrary and self-defined rule about what can defeat it? That's not a demon, that's a Fey. It's coming for the children.
This idea redeems the monster completely in our eyes! Many thanks.
ÔÇ£I would give no thought of what the world might say of me, if I could only transmit to posterity the reputation of an honest man.ÔÇØ --Sam Houston

SpeaksManyLanguages
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
UStream Username: dbg_

Re: 06 July 2015 "This Is a Bonus Comic"

Post by SpeaksManyLanguages » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:45 pm

What's gonna happen on the other two pages is almost self-explanatory after the first one, taking in account the teased image of Forgath's father's armor set. Well, I read the books I guess, but still.

I agree on the weirdness of the rules for this monster. Anything works in fantasy, I guess.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:48 pm

Between your avatar and your use of the plural tense, I find every one of your posts creepily unsettling.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:30 am

Especially with thesilence's title "Whispers Softly"...
The combination makes me think of B5's Drakh..

Anyway: to the topic:
Interesting how lore is known about a being that likely visits the realm for the very first time.
And why does such an obscure fable even get told to anyone?

Somebody won his lore check.... :)

Now, let's write the names of the kids on their foreheads, legs, and back...
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:05 am

spiderwrangler wrote:Between your avatar and your use of the plural tense, I find every one of your posts creepily unsettling.
You've seen the show, right? :/

I can't tell if it's just unsettling as a concept, or you're remembering The Silence.

SpeaksManyLanguages
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by SpeaksManyLanguages » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:44 am

Krulle wrote:Interesting how lore is known about a being that likely visits the realm for the very first time.
And why does such an obscure fable even get told to anyone?
Good question, heh. It could theoretically be explained if the beast doesn't remember where it's been or not. Maybe, it's been to this realm few times for short timespans. Maybe, the fable started by some planeswalkers that told it in this realm.

More things to consider:

1. If you write "this is a bow" on a bow, will arrows hurt the beast?
2. Can the beast close its eyes and flail around, so that it would definitely not see anything?
3. The creature's supposed to understand any written language. So, a name of the object in any language should work? How about a language-that-i-just-made-up? And the name of this particular stone, for example, is written exactly how the cracks on this stone are situated / its texture. So, just by seeing this stone the creature knows it's name and is vulnerable? What if this extends to every object in the vicinity?

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:43 am

Or you could assume that a planeswalker visited the clan, many generations ago, and told them that in another reality the clan had been wiped out by the beast, and it was only a matter of time before it showed up in their reality, so they'd best teach their kids how to fight it. Because someday, they'd need to know.

It doesn't even have to be a planeswalker, really. The Maze of Many has been there for eons. Forgath met a bunch of his alternate selves, and he remembers at least some of them. Maybe one of his ancestors had a similar experience.

... Actually, I can totally see that happening. Dwarf clan is nearly wiped out by the beast until they stumble onto its secret. It retreats, vanishing into another reality. Those who are left research it further. Then a couple of them enter the MoM. Rather than trying to win, they spend each cycle warning all their alternates about the beast. It takes them literally no time to do so because everything gets reset when someone wins. So they can do it thousands of times and never wear out or get bored. The winners (some of them, anyway) go home warned. And pass on that warning to the clan, where it enters clan lore. Eventually, the beast enters a reality where its prey has been forewarned, and... There you go.
Last edited by WearsHats on Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Expanding MoM theory
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:29 am

Does not matter much.
Someone had the feat lore and got told what he needed to know...

(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

SpeaksManyLanguages
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by SpeaksManyLanguages » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:38 am

MoM is just one possible way for passing information across realms...

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:04 am

nikohl wrote:
spiderwrangler wrote:Between your avatar and your use of the plural tense, I find every one of your posts creepily unsettling.

I can't tell if it's just unsettling as a concept, or you're remembering The Silence.
Both. :?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Simon
Speaks Quietly

Post by Simon » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:09 pm

It's an unusual creature. It reminds me somewhat of the Klik things, especially Junior. They can do some sort of trans-dimensional travel, can't they?
I wonder if this is one of the bad-soul klik things, who's positive is the unknown, and negative is the known (or something like that!). I can't remember how odd their positives/negative thing works.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:14 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:
nikohl wrote:

Both. :?
Yes.

thesilence
Speaks Quietly

Post by thesilence » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:41 pm

As a reminder, we have not actually seen the Doctor Who episodes featuring our namesake, but know them only by reputation. We find them impressive creature design, more subtly disturbing than "The Gentlemen" from BVS and more interesting-looking than "The Strangers" from Dark City, but otherwise similar to both of these excellently memorable modern monsters.
This was rather our intent, or at least it is consistent with our goals.
Krulle wrote:Especially with thesilence's title "Whispers Softly"...
The combination makes me think of B5's Drakh.
We thank you for reminding us of these magnificent creatures. Our avatar might change to them eventually, if we find a good enough image for the purpose.

Kamos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Kamos » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:19 pm

Clever girl...
ImageImage Feed the beast please.

Corrupt User
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Corrupt User » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:54 pm

All he really needed was a sign that said "I am a Dwarf". That would work, wouldn't it?

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:36 am

Corrupt User wrote:All he really needed was a sign that said "I am a Dwarf". That would work, wouldn't it?
last panel wrote: As long as the beast did not know the name of an inanimate object, it was invulnerable to it.
I find it doubtable to classify living Dwarves as "inanimate".

Edit: page 2/3: http://www.goblinscomic.org/07072015/

Why does Forgath's mum not have a beard? Really, what's up with that?

And the second sentence in panel 1 seems to be lacking something. I'm missing a "few" as last word in the third line....

And the Fey is fighting dirty, as was to be expected.

SpeaksManyLanguages
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by SpeaksManyLanguages » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:47 am

Krulle wrote:Why does Forgath's mum not have a beard? Really, what's up with that?
She has, though. Look on the second to last frame of Page 1. She has her head down on page 2, so the you cannot see the beard from this perspective. Wait, nevermind, she has a beard on second page too :meh:
And the Fey is fighting dirty, as was to be expected.
I see what you did there :D

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:04 am

Thanks for pointing it out.
I really need to open my file.
But also got around to look up a certain page (this one) where Minmax and Forgath talk about female Draven beards. I remembered something stronger than "can sometimes have...".

My fault, sorry and thank you again.

(really, why does noone put the text on the backside? -but then the sword would still be covered in mud and still not work-but the harness shield would work.)

SpeaksManyLanguages
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by SpeaksManyLanguages » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:09 am

Krulle wrote:But also got around to look up a certain page (this one) where Minmax and Forgath talk about female Draven beards. I remembered something stronger than "can sometimes have...".
Maybe you're thinking altsplanation 4...

SpeaksManyLanguages
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by SpeaksManyLanguages » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:02 pm

Krulle wrote:And the second sentence in panel 1 seems to be lacking something. I'm missing a "few" as last word in the third line...
And here's the answer:
https://twitter.com/Thunt_Goblins/status/618833611119136768 wrote:The current page is cursed! I published that typo (panel 1) 7 or 8 years ago. So I FINALLY corrected it for the 10th anniversary. However...
https://twitter.com/Thunt_Goblins/status/618833864199241728 wrote:...I've accidentally posted the uncorrected version of the page while the corrected version sits here in my files. CURSED I SAY!
(yeah, that missing "few" was in the printed books too)

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:25 pm

Hahaha.
Lovely.
He should NOT correct it, but republish the story corrected in the next book, and put this explanation next to it...

SpeaksManyLanguages
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by SpeaksManyLanguages » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:41 am

And now the last 3rd page with the denouement is up.

Reads_Books
Whispers Softly

Post by Reads_Books » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:44 pm

SpeaksManyLanguages wrote:And now the last 3rd page with the denouement is up.
So, I'm wondering which brother got stuck with "this is a groin guard".

Yeah, I went there.
I have always imagined that Paradise would be a kind of Library

Jorges Luis Borges