19 June 2015: Up Is Safer Than Down

Discuss the comic here!
Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:20 pm

Well, this is an ugly situation for Thaco. I bet the statues have the same skills of the creatures they represent (the dead adventurers?) and Thaco is in for a fight. He may be 4th level now, but he's still outnumbered.
Last edited by RocketScientist on Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed date format
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

SpeaksManyLanguages
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
UStream Username: dbg_

Re: 6/19/2015: Up Is Safer Than Down

Post by SpeaksManyLanguages » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:32 pm

link to the page: http://www.goblinscomic.org/06222015/

The old page, that is referenced here, was published almost exactly 9 years ago.
Last edited by SpeaksManyLanguages on Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:17 am

Reminder about the naming of update threads: there is a section in the rules about that:
Forum Rules wrote:On new updates:
  1. Check before creating a new topic / thread to ensure there isn't already one there
  2. Do NOT create threads purporting to be about an update that has not taken place yet.
  3. Make sure to place the update date in the title, the month should be spelled out or abbreviated and the date should be numeric. (7 Feb 2012 or Feb. 7, 2012 are acceptable whereas 2/7/2012, 7/2/2013, or 2013/2/7 would not be. Dates in the format described above donÔÇÖt leave room for confusion). Please make sure those dates correspond to the Tuesday or Friday in which the comic is updated, or is supposed to update on. This is to eliminate confusion over which update is which.
  4. Please keep to the topic as much as possible.
  5. Please don't put spoilers in the title. The mods will change the title if they feel it is too spoilery, which is why most of threads have a vague title for the updates.
  6. Make sure to include a permanent link to the comic in the first line of your post.
Transcription:
http://www.goblinscomic.com/06222015/ wrote:
► Show Spoiler
original of flashback panels, pencilled preview, unshaded image

I just love Minmax's sentence.
I feel like Thunt has been watching us and put his words in Minmax' mouth.

Oh, like none of you saw that coming.

Edit: shaded permalink: http://www.goblinscomic.org/06222015/
Last edited by Krulle on Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Re: 19 June 2015: Up Is Safer Than Down

Post by RocketScientist » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:28 am

Fixed the date in the OP.

I have two words for Thaco. Cane Boomerang.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:32 am

The currently annoying thing is, that the shading will move the date.
So, once the shading is done, the permalink needs to be inserted into the first post.

If I'm close to OP, I add it to mine, but not always I'm early enough to be close to the top where people can find the link.

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:50 am

Oh Great Herbert, who cannot eat a pizza-for-one without getting cheese on his shirt - what's with all the mechanical monsters?

mertol
Whispers Softly

Post by mertol » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:42 am

I bet he only needs to cut their blindfolds to stop them.

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:22 am

Are they all monks? It appears there are helmets but no weapons in their first appearance, but I don't see helmets now. Or do they have pointy hands and no need for swords?

One of them has ears which might be a goblin's ears, but if they are adventurers, it seems unlikely that a goblin adventurer monk has passed this way before now, given what a big deal was made of goblins choosing to adventure.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

jbrecken
Whispers Softly

Post by jbrecken » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:30 pm

ForgetsOldName wrote:Are they all monks?
They look like Teenage Mutant Ninja Statues to me.

Sidewaysgts
Whispers Softly

Post by Sidewaysgts » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:38 pm

Anyone else remember a time when page titles usually used a sound-effect taken from the page?

*CLANK*

Id be all for going back to that.

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:17 pm

Sidewaysgts wrote:Anyone else remember a time when page titles usually used a sound-effect taken from the page?

*CLANK*

That was never official. It was just popular because of the "no spoiler" rule and the need to get your topic up as fast as possible.

Lean on the refresh button, rush to create the official topic, and name it *CLANK* next time. :D

The few times I've pulled it off I chose something a bit more literary. For example, I would have called my topic "Seeing no evil."
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:31 pm

Oh, there were plenty who just got it up with a link, then went back to read the comic, and only then edited in a real title....
[url=https://twitter.com/Locastan_modder/status/611774228447264768]@Locastan_modder[/url], 50 minutes after comic up-times wrote:@Thunt_Goblins The transparent blindfold bits in the second to last panel are intentional? (They are solid black in other panels.)
@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:Oops. Nope, I forgot to finish colouring them. twitter.com/Locastan_modde

Hjerne
Of Few Words

Post by Hjerne » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:53 pm

Hmmmmm... in the second to last panel looking at the silhouettes of the strung up adventurers there are at least 4 of them who have identical horned helms and what looks to be bladed shoulder pads.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:40 pm

Sidewaysgts wrote:Anyone else remember a time when page titles usually used a sound-effect taken from the page?

*CLANK*

We got complaints about those titles, because it was hard for people to go back later and figure out which thread went to which comic without comparing dates.

Alvarin
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
UStream Username: Alvarin__

Post by Alvarin » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:54 am

So, Thaco will need to grab the scarf/blindfold thing from those golem-monks?

HerdsCats
Of Few Words
UStream Username: HerdsCats
Location: Somewhere between a tub and a sharp pointy set of teeth

Post by HerdsCats » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:36 pm

It's very likely. From what I can tell, that's really the only common thing that all the statues share
My name is HerdsCats. I do the impossible, improbable, and downright unpleasant on a daily basis. How may I help you today?

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:08 am

Krulle wrote:The currently annoying thing is, that the shading will move the date.
So, once the shading is done, the permalink needs to be inserted into the first post.

If I'm close to OP, I add it to mine, but not always I'm early enough to be close to the top where people can find the link.
Every time I try to add a link it always 404s on me, so I stopped adding links. That's the only reason I don't.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

Someguy
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Someguy » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:24 am

jbrecken wrote:
ForgetsOldName wrote:Are they all monks?
They look like Teenage Mutant Ninja Statues to me.
Me too, but storyline wise and given Thaco's class this brings to mind Jackie Chan's Shaolin Wooden Men.

LooksClosely
Whispers Softly

Post by LooksClosely » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:58 pm

That's a cool clip Someguy. Yeah. Seems like a connection. :)

SpellsBedly
Of Few Words

Post by SpellsBedly » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:49 am

O clank...
Hjerne wrote:Hmmmmm... in the second to last panel looking at the silhouettes of the strung up adventurers there are at least 4 of them who have identical horned helms and what looks to be bladed shoulder pads.
Good catch, it's a single group copied a few times. I guess that's one of those little compromises Thunt is making in his art style to get stuff done more quickly.

I don't know if he can defeat them by taking off or cutting the blindfolds, but there's definitely something significant about them. Maybe the key is in their lack of sight, like they can only attack what they can hear, or there's some sort of limitation to blindsight/sense Thaco can use to his advantage?

But the big question is: is he going to be fighting them alone, or will he find a way to get the others down first?

(Also: will the vines not just try to snap him back up again?)

mertol
Whispers Softly

Post by mertol » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:47 am

I think the vines get you only if you touch them.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:13 am

So he needs to make the statues get trapped by the vines?

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:10 am

ForgetsOldName wrote:

*CLANK*

That was never official. It was just popular because of the "no spoiler" rule and the need to get your topic up as fast as possible.

Lean on the refresh button, rush to create the official topic, and name it *CLANK* next time. :D

The few times I've pulled it off I chose something a bit more literary. For example, I would have called my topic "Seeing no evil."
Krulle wrote:Oh, there were plenty who just got it up with a link, then went back to read the comic, and only then edited in a real title....
Perhaps it is time for a new rule, and just mimic what The Giant does over on OOTS? ... where only The Giant himself creates the new topic following every new update. Or, for here in lieu of requiring THunt to do it, perhaps only an Admin should make the new topic, to quell the stupid race for first?

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:50 am

But then we'd have to wait with our comments to start the discussions until the thread has been created...

In another wbcomic I read, the creator starts the threads just before he updates the corresponding page...

One issue here are therules regarding the permalink. After a while, when the shading update comes, the OP permalink would be incorrect...

And the giant proposes the title alone by the fact that any update comes with a title....
Thunt's pages do not have titles, not even as mouse-over titles (tooltip pop-ups when the mouse does not move, like xkcd, smbc,... use to add comments to their page)

SpeaksManyLanguages
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
UStream Username: dbg_

Post by SpeaksManyLanguages » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:46 am

Krulle wrote:Thunt's pages do not have titles, not even as mouse-over titles (tooltip pop-ups when the mouse does not move, like xkcd, smbc,... use to add comments to their page)
There are titles over in Patreon, though. This one was "Escape Artist".