Character Death

Discuss the comic here!
Davis8488
Enjoys Chitchat

Character Death

Post by Davis8488 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:28 pm

As a rule, at least one named character dies in every book of goblins.

Book 1: Hawl and One Eye
Book 2: Asks Nonsense and Taps
Book 3: Piss Off I Hava Headache
Book 4: Chief and Klik Edit: K'sellis

This is an incomplete list, only including protagonists and their allies who appeared in a scene before the one in which they died. Nail doesn't count because I couldn't find him before the scene where he died. Goblinslayer doesn't count because he's a villain.

With Forgath's fate delayed we must wonder whose death will be in Book 5.
Last edited by Davis8488 on Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CarvesAPumpkin, Level 3 Defender in Capture the Flag

If anything I say offends you I am sorry. It is likely late and I am tired, or I'm upset and I am not thinking straight, and though I sincerely wish I could, I can't express myself in such a way that helps you be less of a crybaby.
► Show Spoiler

Knucklekraken
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Re: Character Death

Post by Knucklekraken » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:24 am

You missed K'selliss.

Davis8488
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Davis8488 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:25 pm

Possibly the most awesome death a character could have too. I've made the correction.

If anything I say offends you I am sorry. It is likely late and I am tired, or I'm upset and I am not thinking straight, and though I sincerely wish I could, I can't express myself in such a way that helps you be less of a crybaby.
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:40 pm

Davis8488 wrote:As a rule, at least one named character dies in every book of goblins.
This is an incomplete list, only including protagonists and their allies who appeared in a scene before the one in which they died. Nail doesn't count because I couldn't find him before the scene where he died.
What about Tul?
He has a name. He's an ally of Grem, and he appeared here and here, after which we switched to the rest of the clan, then back to his death.

Technically, Tul counts by the criteria you've established. :lol:
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Davis8488
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Davis8488 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:35 pm

Well, I'm honestly not sure if I count Grem as a protagonist or antagonist in this story.

► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:57 pm

He's kind of a grey area... I don't really like him (other than his one attempt to save K-sis), and was rooting for Biscuit to snap him in half even before he pulled that Mr. Finger's trick.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:23 pm

Davis8488 wrote:Well, I'm honestly not sure if I count Grem as a protagonist or antagonist in this story.
He's a protagonist on the other side, something a story with moral complexity badly needs. He's a good gu-oblin that happens to agree with his mother and I assume will have a perfectly reasonable grudge against the orc that tore her wing off. I personally love these characters, people that oppose our protagonists for totally valid reasons - Baron Wulfenbach, for example, laid siege to Mechanicsburg on the not-unreasonable belief that having a Heterodyne under the Other's influence is a seriously bad idea, locket or no (not that he knew about that, but he'd probably do it anyway). They aren't evil, or deranged - the Baron wanted to give Agatha a chance even after she basically declared civil war on him, and only ordered her killed after he found out about Lucrezia . They aren't even wrong, really - they just happen to be on the other team for their own understandable reasons.

bernardwinston
Remains Silent
UStream Username: bernardwinston

Post by bernardwinston » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:45 pm

What are the difference between protagonists and antagonist?

Last edited by bernardwinston on Mon May 04, 2015 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:47 pm

bernardwinston wrote:What are the difference between protagonists and antagonist?
Simply put, a protagonist is the character we follow (and usually empathise with) in the story as they try to achieve some goal while the antagonist opposes them. In morally-complex stories, there should ideally be no antagonists - only protagonists who happen to oppose each other.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:49 pm

Protagonist is the focal character (often the 'good guy'), while the antagonist(s) is a character that opposes them (often the 'bad guy').

:ninja: 'd.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:40 pm

Sorry I didn't see this sooner, but a long time ago I made a list of all named characters I could find that have died. It's really far back, because nobody has died for so long, but it's still here.

Here's a link.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett