Twitter: [now] new colourist, again.

Discuss the comic here!
stevedj
Voices Opinions

Re: Twitter tweets (now: recommending comics)

Post by stevedj » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:21 am

I'd like to make a request of the Admins here.

Some people still check back almost daily. Some people check back weekly. Some people are subscribed to that special thread for notification when the comic does return. And I'm sure some people have simply fallen out of goblins (for now), and may return once a month for a peek, or not return at all for quite some time. I've been the some of the former groups I listed, but I fear that I myself may fall into that latter group at some time... :(

My request, for once strips return: Have a perma-link posted, and pinned, that takes long-time-absent visitors to the first of the new/returned strips. Whether just one has posted, or a dozen, it would be very helpful to have a link that takes people to the first of the returned strips. Otherwise, when they return, the get a "spoiler" of the current/latest strip, and may have to step backwards several strips to find the starting point... kinda giving spoilers along the way.

The best option would be such a link right on the main page (presuming that's where most people's bookmarks take them), but if that isn't possible, then a pinned topic in the forums somewhere (but of course, harder to find w/o having been "spoiled" too much first).

Hope this is a reasonable request?

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:24 pm

I support that request, especially if the permalink is provided in the MIA thread, which will lure back most of the community when posted in...
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:30 pm

Good idea. I think something could likely be arranged.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Sogono
Mutters to Themself

Post by Sogono » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:53 am

That would be nice indeed!

(As of now, I have bookmarked the current last page involving two wolfes and the Hulk and check sporadically if there is a "next page" Klik in the top right corner of the page.)
ImageImageImageImage

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:56 am

That IS an option, as long as THunt doesn't move it off into some different archive (after all, it isn't a part of the GAP story arc). Might be more practical to go back to the last actual GAP page and bookmark it.

Rorrik
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Rorrik » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:35 pm

Yea, he pretty much always removes those non-plot ones off the main page and out of the comic stream when he posts a new comic. It would be safer to bookmark the one before. Definitely doing that.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:15 pm

Going back a few topics for a second: I finally tried Chipotle. Went down to visit my dad, and stopped there on the way back. :shock: That was the biggest burrito I have ever seen. I was starving when I got there, and I could not finish it. It was pretty good, though. I wish I lived in civilization.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:42 pm

Yes, they can certainly be a multi-meal burrito.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Hjerne
Of Few Words

Post by Hjerne » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:44 pm

Solution. Somebody who checks every day create a twitter account. The account will have one purpose only and that is notification. When a new comic is finally released then tweet it multiple times at intervals. Anybody who wants to can follow that twitter account. Call it "tweets about goblins" or something like that.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:30 am

Hjerne wrote:Solution. Somebody who checks every day create a twitter account. The account will have one purpose only and that is notification. When a new comic is finally released then tweet it multiple times at intervals. Anybody who wants to can follow that twitter account. Call it "tweets about goblins" or something like that.
That's basically the comic's RSS feed.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:23 am

Using RSS is a better solution than Twitter, as many Goblinites do not have a Twitter account.
If you have Twitter, just follow THunt, as he will Tweet a new page.

(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:28 am

Yeah. I don't see how checking a Twitter feed every day is any better than checking the Goblins homepage every day (or every week or whatever). At least checking the Goblins homepage gets Thunt a pageview and maybe some ad revenue. But if you want to be notified, you can subscribe to the MIA thread here and we'll update it when the comic returns.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

Hobgoblin
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Hobgoblin » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:21 am

WearsHats wrote:I spoke to him early this week. He sounded good. He's been working on the comic, as he can. But he doesn't want to make an official comeback until he's really ready. It's been a bumpy recovery (including difficulty with side effects), but he's improving overall. He'll be back, in time.
Ok, thanks for the answer! :)
(my little webcomic)

Download the FREE teaser for A Clockwork Paranoia HERE

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:32 am

ICYMI, more recent contact:
WearsHats wrote:Had a good chat with Danielle tonight. She says recovery is going well. When I mentioned that there were people wondering if the comic was over, she said, "IT IS NOT!" Also, "We can't put a date on it, but he'll be back."

► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:48 am

Back to recommending comics:

My current favourite is chat - a love story by Audrey Soffa.
Wonderfully drawn (no colour though), and slightly unregular with updates (might or might not update twice a week, minimum is once a week).

Also, another of my favourites finally starts the third book: Erfworld is back (a new comic just appeared a few hours ago=! A comic which is very much about exploiting and pushing limits within the rules of a turn based game.
Had for quite some time text-only updates, which were separate stories in the same set of rules.

JumpsonStuff
Mutters to Themself

Post by JumpsonStuff » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:42 pm

Woo. I liked the story updates, but I was really in it for Hamster's story...

Calemor
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Calemor » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:24 pm

I haven't read every single post here, but I'd like to join in the recommending of comics and such!

I've been enjoying "Will Save World for Gold." It's a D&D comic where, like Goblins, the characters are aware that the game mechanics are governing their actions, and they treat it like it's totally normal. Unlike Goblins, there don't seem to be players involved. Also unlike Goblins, it's based off 4th edition. If you like Goblins, and can stand the massive pixels that comprise the art, you might like it.

"Weregeek" and "Guilded Age" are still going strong. I also recently discovered one called "Carbon Dating" about geeks and their real life issues with romance and relationships. It's a comic strip style, only a bit over 100 strips at the moment, but putting out two per week. Makes sciencey and geeky jokes alike.

I hope there are no rules against shameless plugging, but I also started a blog recently called "Tales of Calemor." Each week I post a new chapter of a novel-length story. I've been reading Goblins for probably over half a decade, so it's definitely had a hand in inspiring my writing. I've been reading Discworld more recently, so that might be having a heavier effect.

Sending my best wishes to Tarol and Danielle, and still checking the comic every day! Hope everyone comes out of this for the better.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:11 am

Calemor wrote:I've been enjoying "Will Save World for Gold." It's a D&D comic where, like Goblins, the characters are aware that the game mechanics are governing their actions, and they treat it like it's totally normal. Unlike Goblins, there don't seem to be players involved. Also unlike Goblins, it's based off 4th edition. If you like Goblins, and can stand the massive pixels that comprise the art, you might like it.
Some trivia you may enjoy is that the author of WSTWFG used to run forum games in this very forum before he started the comic :) If you check out the "Completed Games" area, you should be able to find links to the archived games (Last Ditch Dungeon, Hats, Arena Slaves and The Awesomesword Wanes were his). I'm not sure if we brought them all with us through the forum moves and such, but if you like his style they might be worth a look :)

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:31 pm

LoneStarNorth is still nominally a moderator here, too, I believe. He's awfully busy these days, but we still heart him, so we're not demoting him. :)

HuntsAPanda
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by HuntsAPanda » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:41 pm

I have an RSS ticket that updates all my webcomic feeds and once there is any update on the Goblins website it send me the link in my RSS ticker.

Also, regarding webcomics, not sure if anyone has seen it, but Sorcery 101 is pretty good, I only just started it today.

I even found a possible reference to Goblins here - http://www.sorcery101.net/sorcery-101/sorcery101-0112/ (THUNT!)
Hearthstone Battle ID: core358#1166

Send me a friend request, I always accept. Then send me a message saying you're a goblins fan.

Hobgoblin
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Hobgoblin » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:42 am

I'm going through a lot of problems myself and fuck me if I don't know how hard it is just to get up in the morning or get out of the house. But all gets well, eventually.
Aside from being a webcomic author or an Internet "celebrity", I'm happy Thunt is doing better...it's motivational.
(my little webcomic)

Download the FREE teaser for A Clockwork Paranoia HERE

Gkom
Speaks Quietly

Post by Gkom » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:00 am

So... Any news from Thunt?
I can very much relate as well to what he's going through. I'm currently not doing any of what I'm supposed to do. Just can't bring myself to it.
Still, Ii'll be happy to have some news...

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:25 am

Whelp, Wears is probably in the air by now, so I doubt, we'll get much info from him ;)
It has been rather quiet of late. I hope everything is still going in the right direction.
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:25 am

Nope. None that I am aware of. (18th of July was the last post in this regard)
Something like this does not vanish within a month.
So, please be patient.
And, please, be strong, go out, enjoy the sunshine.
The household can wait. Bring your gloom and misery out into a sunny park.
That has helped me.
Especially when I got over myself and asked some guys playing football (USoA: soccer) if I could join.

My thoughts are with you.

EDIT: ninja'ed by Guus. Go, have a lunch, Guus. ;)

tmoulder
Remains Silent

Post by tmoulder » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:35 am

Actively reading now:

Spinnerette
Kiwi Blitz
Order of the Stick (natch)
Erfworld (o'course)
The Last Halloween

And from a bit further afield:

Wake Up Deadman
A Fairy Tale for the Demon Lord

Both of these are Korean web comics, but you can find english translations on various manga sites. Make sure to visit the author's original site to show support, even if you can't read them there. The stories are good, but the art is just incredible.