Twitter: [now] new colourist, again.

Discuss the comic here!
Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Re: Twitter tweets (now: Good Twitters to follow)

Post by Krulle » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:00 am

Well, "close by" there are several shops doing nothing else.... I can compare prices online, order by phone and pick it up (so I have to drive only once). That's the advantage of a big student-oriented city. :)
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:57 pm

I'm jealous! Do you just give them your requirements and they find it for you, or can you pick and chose which components you use? I litterally will spend days on-line researching the components before deciding on the build I'm going to do.

BiggestBlackest
Mutters to Themself

Post by BiggestBlackest » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:42 pm

http://www.goblinscomic.org/ is down.

I'm concerned.

BiggestBlackest
Mutters to Themself

Post by BiggestBlackest » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:43 pm

Ah. It seems I can hit the page with enough reloads. Still - some trouble it seems.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:47 am

Lurks_In_Shadows wrote:I'm jealous! Do you just give them your requirements and they find it for you, or can you pick and chose which components you use? I litterally will spend days on-line researching the components before deciding on the build I'm going to do.
a mix. I could tell them what I want down to the last screw, or I could take one of their monthly sets of "standardized" settings, which are optimised for gamers/office workers/surfers/low-end/high-end/good overall performance and price relation. Most shops have three-five standard setups which are sold most often, but even then you can change the setup, as they will only put the components together into one PC when the order has been placed...
► Show Spoiler

nameneeded
Mutters to Themself

Post by nameneeded » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:49 am

Not sure who lives where but the best place I have found to gets parts for my builds has been http://www.memoryexpress.com/ here in Canada.

Good selection and pricing. Being local to the store front also helps. ;)

It has been a while since I did an upgrade though.... been running a HTPC build for a few years. No advantage to upgrading till 4k stuff gets out.

Mrwrk
Remains Silent

Post by Mrwrk » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:11 pm

I -don't- live near an outlet, but MemoryExpress has been awesome for me as well. Deliveries come quick, their service people seem like they know what they're doing and their selection is good. I recently built a computer using parts form there, except for the case, and it went as smoothly as butter. They even caught a potential problem that I missed, called me about it, and straightened out my order before sending it.
nameneeded wrote:Not sure who lives where but the best place I have found to gets parts for my builds has been http://www.memoryexpress.com/ here in Canada.

It has been a while since I did an upgrade though.... been running a HTPC build for a few years. No advantage to upgrading till 4k stuff gets out.

AntMac
Likes to Contribute

Post by AntMac » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:12 pm

I wish there was some way to send some help, even if only a snuggle-pounce puppy-attack, or a kitten-head-bump . . . SOMETHING ! ! ! so one could feel one was helping the two of them . . .

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:26 pm

nameneeded wrote:Not sure who lives where but the best place I have found to gets parts for my builds has been http://www.memoryexpress.com/ here in Canada.

I've basically wound up get pieces here and there. A lot of times I could order the motherboard and cpu through Best Buy's online store and then have it sent to the brick and mortor store locally. I could take advantage of any sales they had and avoided shipping fees that way. For whatever reason, the local Staples seems to carry the better powersupplies, and they can occassionally be gotten on sale (my 750 w was about 1/3 off :) ). I've ordered a few components from TigerDirect before (used to be CompUSA) and had good service. I've looked at Egghead, but I've been leary due to reports of issues with their customer service. Last time I built, I recycled an old ACER mid tower case. 'Course I had to find some 1 pin jumpers so I could adapt it to a standard motherboard instead of a proprietory one. THAT took longer than anything else to find.

chartinboy
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by chartinboy » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:22 am

Thunt_goblins wrote:Tarol pushed himself back out into the world a bit too fast. When he does come back, he hopes you'll still be there. -Danielle
Sounds like he fell back a bit. That's only understandable. Hopefully he can ease back in next time.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:31 am

Beat me to it, Chartinboy --- I know I'll keep the warcamp fire going for him...

My worry is that art skill is like any other skill. You use it or you lose it. Makes me worry just a little.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

PaintsTurtles
Former Mod

Post by PaintsTurtles » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:52 am

Glad to finally hear something, although it's unfortunate that he moved a bit fast as we feared. Personally, the update from Danielle was really all I needed to hear, because it's solidified in my mind that the comic is basically in hiatus status until THunt recovers. That's totally fine, and I'll still be here when he returns, but it's good to have the confirmation rather than uncertainty. I'd like to see the clock message get changed to "Recovery Hiatus" or something, but that's another topic altogether and more of Duke's area anyway. ;)

StealsJoghurt
Remains Silent

Post by StealsJoghurt » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:13 pm

It is great to hear an update on how things are. I really hope Thunt gets well soon.. For one I'll always be up for reading the comic whenever it starts again!

Also, when it does, I think we should campaign for Thunt to leave us(we'll be fine, really) and go on holiday somewhere like this every now and again:

Image*

*representation. Results may vary, and if not accurate, please imagine whichever place would be your perfect holiday destination instead.

HyoorDuke
Remains Silent

Post by HyoorDuke » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:42 pm

THAT is definitely a depiction of MY happy place...

JumpsonStuff
Mutters to Themself

Post by JumpsonStuff » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:58 pm

Like I said, this is a pretty common thing during recovery after something like this. I know there's no magic button or instant fix to get ones life back together after a breakdown, and I can be patient and wait for his return. After all, checking the site costs me nothing but a few seconds of my time. I will offer my best wishes and prayers/psychic energy/Jedi healing powers for his stability and comfort.

Tofu
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: Tofu

Post by Tofu » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:25 pm

Through twitter, I wish peace and serenity. Practising self love unto the last hot chocolate has been drunk and the last forest walk has been walked, be true to finding your own centre, your own reasons for waking up in the morning and your own joys of living.

And watch a lot of Jim Jarmuch ... GhostDog for example.

AntMac
Likes to Contribute

Post by AntMac » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:26 pm

+1 to StealsJogherts idea.

Plus . . . OOOOOOOoooo, so pretty . . . where where is it, do want !.

Benbo231
Of Few Words

Post by Benbo231 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:37 pm

I've heard laughter is the best medicine... For Vectron's sake, someone tell a knock-knock joke!

Honestly though, best wishes to Tarol and Danielle, and if there's anything we can do to help, whether it's organizing a bake sale or just continued Twitter support, you have my sword. Take as long as you need, Thunt. We'll be here when you get back, however long that takes. Get well soon!

Zathyr
Smiths Silly Smiles
UStream Username: Zathyr

Post by Zathyr » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:18 am

StealsJoghurt wrote:It is great to hear an update on how things are. I really hope Thunt gets well soon.. For one I'll always be up for reading the comic whenever it starts again!

Also, when it does, I think we should campaign for Thunt to leave us(we'll be fine, really) and go on holiday somewhere like this every now and again:

Image*

*representation. Results may vary, and if not accurate, please imagine whichever place would be your perfect holiday destination instead.
I never really understood the point of pools that close to a beach.
Image And always make sure your dragons are happy little dragons.

StealsJoghurt
Remains Silent

Post by StealsJoghurt » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:20 am

AntMac wrote:+1 to StealsJogherts idea.

Plus . . . OOOOOOOoooo, so pretty . . . where where is it, do want !.
Hawaii, I think? :shrug: doesn't matter really - anywhere warm, with a beach will do me :)
Zathyr wrote:I never really understood the point of pools that close to a beach.
There hardly is any - think its just a way of hotels showing off.. You know, my pool is bigger than yours! Also there are places where the sea is just too cold to swim in. Oh and I do know of people who'd not go into the sea but are more than happy to take a dip in a pool, not that I think its a reason why they build them this way!

Moroser
Of Few Words

Post by Moroser » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:30 am

I'm so revealed we've got some clarity now! And yeah +1 to StealsJoghurts suggestion.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Re: Twitter tweets (now: relapse / well wishing)

Post by Krulle » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:32 am

I wholeheartedly wish THunt the best, and hope that when he approaches Goblinscomic next time (which may take longer than last time), he sets himself some maximum limits, e.g. no more than half an hour per day, later per half day, ...., and only ramps up back to full in no earlier time than about Christmas....

CooksACarrot
An Obvious Distraction

Post by CooksACarrot » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:20 am

StealsJoghurt wrote:
There hardly is any - think its just a way of hotels showing off.. You know, my pool is bigger than yours! Also there are places where the sea is just too cold to swim in. Oh and I do know of people who'd not go into the sea but are more than happy to take a dip in a pool, not that I think its a reason why they build them this way!
You also have to train in a pool before you are allowed to go scuba diving in the open ocean.
Look! A Distraction!
-William Lyon Mackenzie King, Prime Minister, Ninja

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:42 am

CooksACarrot wrote:
StealsJoghurt wrote:
You also have to train in a pool before you are allowed to go scuba diving in the open ocean.
Speak for yourself - the swimming pool charged too much, so I trained in a square box of buoys in the sea.

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:55 am

Krulle wrote:The tiles are what keeps me away from Win8.x
It's my working station, and touchy-touchy is a no-go, as it is a big screen that's used for work, and thus standing too far awayto touch the screen (if I could get a touch-screen one.... I need the size). And the finger-prints on the big display would hurt my sight.

Windows is mainly used for working stations, where work should be done.
Win 8 is an operating system going with the fad of gaming/show-off tools (touch screens, hand-held devices, mobile phones).
I do not see what MS hoped to achieve with such a restructuring of their main operating system....

I am running Vista (64), and am not intending to go to Win7...
First off, people need to understand - Windows 8 does NOT require you to touch a screen... ever! You can still use your mouse... :)

Another poster asked about 8.1 -- the big change with that is that now it will boot directly to the desktop (instead of the tile menu). You can also pin apps from that tile screen onto your desktop taskbar. And when you exit apps, you are also taken back to the desktop. It would seem as though that tile page is really now just the "Start Menu", and that most everything at least feels like it revolves around the desktop again.

I *think* what MS was trying to achieve, was that you could then go between your desktop machine (work and/or home), and your touch device (phone and/or tablet) and not feel like you have to learn two different experiences; ...that they want things to feel the same everywhere.