Surviving Castle Heterodyne - Recruitment Closed

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Surviving Castle Heterodyne - Recruitment Closed

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:55 am

Feel free to catch up HERE.

I've been kicking an idea around in my head for an open ended crafting/skill leveling system where players could gain expertise in any skill they want, and build anything they can dream up. The concept was inspired in large part by Thinks' Lair of the Mountain King. The idea of a Girl Genius inspired game came up in another thread, and Wears suggested one based on sparks sentenced to repair Castle Heterodyne.

If you aren't familiar with Girl Genius, it's basically a steampunkish world where the normal populace lives in fear/awe of sparks... those individuals with a touch of madness accompanying a frightening intellect. These mad scientists build everything from a better mousetrap to a steam powered death ray, and within the story, Castle Heterodyne is the semi sentient home of the Heterodyne family, among the most powerful of the sparks. It has fallen into disrepair with the absence of a resident Heterodyne, and potential sparks have been rounded up and 'fed' to the castle with the task of repairing it instead of letting them run amok.

The setup for this game would be that the players are all emerging sparks that have been dumped into a disused section of the castle, and their goal will be to survive the castle's attempts to kill them off, while building various devices to improve their ability to cope with challenges. Various events such as building devices will give them practice in a particular skill, and as they gain levels in that skill, it will increase their ability to construct more complicated devices. Pretty much whatever they want to attempt, I'm willing to let you try. I should mention that this game will be mostly description/writing based, just to be able to keep a good pace and not slow things down... If you build something particularly awesome, I may draw up a sketch of your new device...

What I need from potential players:
Name:
Description:
Backstory:
Innate Skill: I'll start each player with level in a discipline of their choice... after all, they must have shown talent in something to be collared and shipped off to the castle.

Regarding skills: This will be pretty open ended, but if it's too narrow, that skill likely won't be commonly useful. If it's too broad, I'll work with you to narrow it down to something more balanced (Making Stuff would be too broad...)

I'll still be working on finding a balance point for this game, so things will be subject to change in the early going.

I think that 4-6 people would be a good start... after 6, I'll cap it for the time being.

Characters
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:19 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Re: Surviving Castle Heterodyne - Recruiting for playtest

Post by WearsHats » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:45 am

Name: Gabe Treger
Description: I'm almost tempted to try to make him a Jager, but I don't think I could pull it off. So let's go with a slightly portly gentleman with light skin, dark hair, a nifty cane, and a steam-powered propeller beanie. For now.

I'm going to have to come back and fill in the rest tomorrow. Takes me a long time to come up with a good concept, and it's almost bedtime. But I'm definitely interested.

Backstory:
Innate Skill:
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:10 pm

Awesome! I was hoping you'd be one to join, since you'd made the suggestion of the scenario. The innate skill isn't a big deal, at this point it will only give a slight edge in tasks related to that particular skill type. Something a bit more generally useful may be more beneficial to players at this point.

I'm also fine with a limited number of possessions, I won't make you start with naked prisoners, but reserve the right to limit or reject anything that seems unbalanced. A fancy cane and propeller beanie are fine, as long as the propeller beanie is relatively simple (ie, can't be used to fly, etc. ... yet anyway... ;) )
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:18 pm

Name: Bunn "Bunn" Aquarium!

Description: this thin man pose an impressive figure with his full 168 cm height and near intact hair line! The various scars on his body and face, are witness to his many heroic struggles, mostly involving trying to get free from one of his own devices and his wits are limitless within a fair set of boarders of course.

"No no no, you need a spring with far more mechanical energy capacity, the way you are doing it there is no way that the goldfish will penetrate more than two or three test subjects"
-Bunn Bunn upon examining a colleague's spring driven goldfish gun!

Backstory: After near drowning more than a few hundred times, the center for memory and reasoning in Bunn Bunn's brain seems to have suffered some (but unimportant) damage, but it does not matter, because his mission has never been forgotten; "To make sure that any man or woman, one day will be able to use his patented water and spring driven personal transporting and hair setting shower device, and only suffer minor damage to their image and/or bodily self"

Innate Skill: Understanding of Mechanical Potential energy.

items:
A pack of assorted springs (from 1mm small up to about 10cm)
a role of steel wire (0.3mm thick and 10 meters)
a multi screwdriver tool (Basically a swissknife but with 8 different screwdrivers instead of all other tools)
a backpack with build in camelback (2L water skin with straw)
-Best regards LAYF

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:35 pm

Name: Sam "Squeal" Griffin

Description: Sam is a small man who stands at just over 3 feet tall. His mouse-like features and the fact that he squeals shrilly when having a eureka moment has earned him the nickname Squeal. He has small beady little black eyes which tend to dart quickly back and forth when excited. The glasses that he wears makes it looks like his head contains more eyes than face.

Backstory: Unwilling to let his lack in the height department hold him back, Squeal is constantly reaching and soaring to new heights. Only just recently he finished his "because you are small and feel bad" machine which allows him to stand tall with his fellow scientists. As opposed to staring at their crotches, which made both him, and his fellows largely uncomfortable.

Innate Skill: Mechanical aptitude for creating things which move after being wound or when pedaled (clockworks/Gears?)

Items:
A pair of "leg extensions" (similar to those things painters use)
A pair of glasses with a magnifying attachment which can be easily flipped down into place.
A pair of long tweezers for use when using magnification
A pocket full of odds and ends (small clockwork gears, etc)
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:37 pm

Hehe... I like how Dunn Dunn and Squeal is like fish and bird... both small and with a knack for mechanical transportation :P
-Best regards LAYF

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:59 pm

LooksAtYouFunny wrote:Innate Skill: Aqua/Mechanical driven gears and personal carried devices.. (Is the specific enough or to broad?)
Both? I would view that as multiple disciplines. Depending on what exactly you have in mind, Hydraulics, Gearworks (or Clockworks), Aquatic Biology, Personal Grooming, Transportation? An innate knowledge of hydraulics or gears will probably be more broadly applicable to start.

Don't worry about not having all the skills you want, as your character develops and explores there will be ample opportunity to gain experience and level up other skills. For example, if you set the goal for yourself of building a goldfish gun powered by a series of gears compressing pistons to compress air within a tank to expel water and a goldfish, having a level in Hydraulics would allow you to accomplish that more quickly than being completely untrained. However, if you happen upon a room stocked with flying piranhas and manage to capture a few and take them back to your workshop to dissect them, you might be able to increase your knowledge of Aquatic Biology, further helping you complete the gun. Greater understanding of gears, compression, pistons, etc would all increase the rate at which you could build the Goldfish GunÔäó, but you could muddle through with just Hydraulics. Unless a particular skill is deemed to be REQUIRED, you'll be able to work through it based on what you do know, and in the process, gain progress towards advancement in those other skills.

A goldfish gun would be rather complicated, and perhaps not something I'd suggest going for right from the start.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:07 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:
LooksAtYouFunny wrote:Innate Skill: Aqua/Mechanical driven gears and personal carried devices.. (Is the specific enough or to broad?)
Both? I would view that as multiple disciplines. Depending on what exactly you have in mind, Hydraulics, Gearworks (or Clockworks), Aquatic Biology, Personal Grooming, Transportation? An innate knowledge of hydraulics or gears will probably be more broadly applicable to start.

Don't worry about not having all the skills you want, as your character develops and explores there will be ample opportunity to gain experience and level up other skills. For example, if you set the goal for yourself of building a goldfish gun powered by a series of gears compressing pistons to compress air within a tank to expel water and a goldfish, having a level in Hydraulics would allow you to accomplish that more quickly than being completely untrained. However, if you happen upon a room stocked with flying piranhas and manage to capture a few and take them back to your workshop to dissect them, you might be able to increase your knowledge of Aquatic Biology, further helping you complete the gun. Greater understanding of gears, compression, pistons, etc would all increase the rate at which you could build the Goldfish GunÔäó, but you could muddle through with just Hydraulics. Unless a particular skill is deemed to be REQUIRED, you'll be able to work through it based on what you do know, and in the process, gain progress towards advancement in those other skills.

A goldfish gun would be rather complicated, and perhaps not something I'd suggest going for right from the start.
Oh, I did not intend to say that he had build a goldfish gun, just that he had been so kind to give his self proclaimed "Expertise" on one :P

But nah, I was thinking of it as a skill in things that must contain Both hydraulics and springs. Eg. he would understand a hydraulic lift (using hydraulics to lift and springs to avoid bumps on dropping down) but a clockwork or a hydraulic pump wold be gibberish in his mind (one not having hydraulics, the other not having springs)
But if that is to broad I'll start with a skill base on mechanically stored energy (Such as springs that are compressed, or a counter weight to a lifting device) is that better?
-Best regards LAYF

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:16 pm

@BadgeAddict : I'd probably call that Aeronautics? Get a bonus towards flight related tasks.

@LAYF : We'll probably start in a workshop with access to some amount of tools, bits and pieces, but you are welcome to a personal tool kit as well.

Players may be as cooperative and share as much as they want... relating to tools/items, etc.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:21 pm

^note that i changed my skills somewhat.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:25 pm

LooksAtYouFunny wrote:Oh, I did not intend to say that he had build a goldfish gun, just that he had been so kind to give his self proclaimed "Expertise" on one :P
I was mostly using that as an example of what I had in mind for building tasks.
But nah, I was thinking of it as a skill in things that must contain Both hydraulics and springs. Eg. he would understand a hydraulic lift (using hydraulics to lift and springs to avoid bumps on dropping down) but a clockwork or a hydraulic pump wold be gibberish in his mind (one not having hydraulics, the other not having springs).
Hmmm... makes for interesting backstory and flavor, but might be a bit restrictive? If I had things more concrete, I might offer an additional bonus in certain disciplines for restricting yourself in others, but at this point, it might be better to keep your options open.
But if that is to broad I'll start with a skill base on mechanically stored energy (Such as springs that are compressed, or a counter weight to a lifting device) is that better?
Does "Mechanical Potential Energy" work for you?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:29 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:
LooksAtYouFunny wrote:-SNIP-
Yep :) Eller mechanical energy is potential until released.. so
-Best regards LAYF

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:53 pm

LooksAtYouFunny wrote:
spiderwrangler wrote:
LooksAtYouFunny wrote:-SNIP-
Yep :) Eller mechanical energy is potential until released.. so
Just trying to get terminology down. :)
I've added characters and innate skills (as far as we've worked out) to the first post. I'm thinking that you all will be getting mind wiped before being dropped into the castle... so while you may have once had the expertise to build walking legs and propeller beanies, you no longer possess those skills, except for your starting innate skill.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:20 pm

Arg....I want to play, but I'm not sure I'll do very well once the actual Girl Genius themed stuff starts happening. I stopped reading the comic a while ago >.>

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:48 pm

nikohl wrote:Arg....I want to play, but I'm not sure I'll do very well once the actual Girl Genius themed stuff starts happening. I stopped reading the comic a while ago >.>
I already pretty much gave any background you need... it's not necessary to be up to date, I don't plan on having players interact with any comic canon characters (besides the castle).
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:13 pm

Alright, why the hell not.

Ursula van Wendels
Appearance: Ursula is a wide, well endowed woman of about 30, with thick blonde hair that she wears in a braid, dark tanned skin, and bright blue eyes. (She looks like she should be wearing a pointy breasplate and a horned hat and singing at the opera...)
Backstory: Ursula isn't one of the most gifted sparks, but what she does make is usually pretty good - if fairly derivative and uninspired. She can make many things, but she seems to lack creativity; her best work is normally done in producing immaculate copies of other people's inventions. She makes her living in a music shop, creating musical trinket boxes, recording and playback devices, performing clanks and so on, and spends her spare time trying to invent -something- that someone else hasn't already made.
Talent: Replicas (or, if replicas is too weird - automated music players)

Equipment: Mini Ballerina clank (about hand-sized, spins in place and plays a tune)
Disassembly kit (screwdrivers, spanner, spare screws)
Notebook and pens
Flute or recorder (mundane, just something she can play)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:54 pm

nikohl wrote:Talent: Replicas (or, if replicas is too weird - automated music players)
Hmmm.... early on, you likely won't have the skills to be able to reliably copy existing tech...

I have an idea that may give you the feel you are looking for, but in order for it to make sense, I guess I need to detail how I plan on leveling your skills.

For a given task, I will determine how many Completion Points (CP) are required to finish the task. This will be based on level of complexity, etc. and is the main place where I'll be working to find balance for the game. So basically, you let me know what you are trying to do, and I'll come up with a CP reflecting the amount of effort that would be required to finish that task. Die rolls determine the number of CP you achieve in a given round. Successful completion would award you Skill Points (SP) which accumulate for a particular skill discipline. Once sufficient SP are accrued, you will go up a level. Leveling results in the use of a new die for tasks attempted using that skill. Possessing levels in multiple skills involved in a task will synergize, allowing you to make more die rolls towards the task. The greater your expertise in a particular skill discipline, or breadth of knowledge across the skill disciplines involved, the quicker you will be able to complete the task. I am contemplating adding in a bit of randomness, with a crit/fail roll, but will leave that out for now I think.

The idea I had for Ursula is to have a talent in Deconstruction Disassembly. This would give her a higher die roll for tasks related to taking things apart... the completion of which will give her bonuses in the related skills. For example, if she wished to take apart her mini ballerina clank, she could do it quicker than if she were unskilled in Deconstruction Disassembly, and gain skill in other disciplines (Clockwork, Clanks, etc) once she finishes.

Let me know what you think about Deconstruction Disassembly for Ursula.

*Edit* I think Disassembly works better?
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:12 am

Yeah, that'd work well. Thanks for the clarification!

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:34 am

Name: August Gallardi
Description: August is an average man with no really distinguising features. He has medium length hair and a small goatee. He is clothed vaguely aristocratic, but pretty run- down.
Background:August is a bit more sane than most of his peers and he styles himself as a bit of a hero. The Heterodyne Boys are his role models, but he's not doing a terribly great job at the actual being heroic part.
Skill: Personal arms and armour (so he is good at stuff you carry around yourself like weapons and armour and other gadgets, but bad with clanks and big machinery)
if thats too broad: metallurgy

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:34 am

I will give this a try, just have to read into the rules. Are you building the chars with the rulebook that somebody linked (I think in the GM feedback thread), or just make them up?
Didn't spot a link to a rule set here.
:zzz:

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:20 am

Nerre wrote:I will give this a try, just have to read into the rules. Are you building the chars with the rulebook that somebody linked (I think in the GM feedback thread), or just make them up?
Didn't spot a link to a rule set here.
It's literally the first sentence in this thread:
spiderwrangler wrote:I've been kicking an idea around in my head for an open ended crafting/skill leveling system where players could gain expertise in any skill they want, and build anything they can dream up.
It's an open-ended system that he's making up. (Hence the "playtesting" mentioned in the thread title.)

Further discussion of what might be possible and how things might work is in the thread, but it seems to be very much a work in progress.

(Actually, it sounds similar to the vague open-ended system I've been planning to use for my game, if I ever get around to populating the city with enough NPCs. So it'll be good to see how this works out. Maybe I can learn some things to help develop my own ideas...)

And, while I'm writing here, let me tell you a bit more about my character.

Name: Gabe "Angel" Treger

Description: Gabe is a somewhat average-looking young Eastern European man. Dark hair, dark eyes. Average height, somewhat above average weight. In part, that's from his broad shoulders and barrel chest, but there's a definite protrusion in the abdominal region. His ornately decorated walking stick is at odds with his well-worn workman's clothing.

Background: Gabe's family, for generations, have been porters, paid to carry and/or cart various heavy objects (luggage, water barrels, groceries, clank parts, etc.) around town. Gabe inherited the stocky frame which had served his ancestors so well, but he was never happy with the job. It always seemed to him that there must be something better than carrying other people's dead weight (and, in one memorable case, a large crate of mimmoths), a sentiment which baffled and irked his parents to no end. Repeated back injuries were just part of life. Why complain?

Inspired by a local spark, he began experimenting with spare parts. Clearly, if the problem was to move heavy objects around, the solution was to make them lighter! So he set out to build his dream: The Amazeon Clank! Steam-driven propellers would lift the boxes and packages and barrels into the air, and then the clank would fly them to their destinations. No more lugging things around by hand!

They told him he was mad! Heavier than air flight just wasn't possible. Even the Baron used airships. But Gabe was determined.

Unfortunately, that determination didn't come to much. Metal is heavy. Fuel is heavy. Water is heavy. Put them all together, and you've got an engine that's... really heavy. Sure, it could produce lift, but never enough to carry its own weight, never mind a heavy package. Still, Gabe kept working, determined to someday show them, show them all!

Innate Skill: Gabe knows propellers. Not well enough to build a working flying machine, but better than most.

Items: Gabe wears a steam-powered propeller beanie. It doesn't do much of anything (yet), but, well, propellers are always on his mind. So to speak. He also uses an ornate walking stick. Again, it doesn't do anything (yet), but he has plans. Very vague plans, but plans none the less. Also, it helps him when his back spasms (a rare but recurring event).
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:06 am

Thanks.

Then I will make up something too and grab the last spot, thanks. :)

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:11 am

Name: Hieronymus von Morgentag
Description: coming soon
Backstory: coming soon
Innate Skill: space-time-manipulation.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: Surviving Castle Heterodyne - Closed for now

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:01 am

Alaen wrote:Name: August Gallardi
Description: August is an average man with no really distinguising features. He has medium length hair and a small goatee. He is clothed vaguely aristocratic, but pretty run- down.
Background:August is a bit more sane than most of his peers and he styles himself as a bit of a hero. The Heterodyne Boys are his role models, but he's not doing a terribly great job at the actual being heroic part.
Skill: Personal arms and armour (so he is good at stuff you carry around yourself like weapons and armour and other gadgets, but bad with clanks and big machinery)
if thats too broad: metallurgy
Depending on how Metallurgy is defined, it may either be too broad (and unbalanced in terms of power) or possibly too narrow to be of much use to you initially. As a skill, I would rather that Metallurgy refer to an understanding of metals that can be applied to forming new alloys, or the interaction of two different metal types (galvanic reactions in batteries, etc.). I feel that would be more balanced, but if you don't start with access to a forge, etc. it won't help you right away. Metallurgy as a bonus to any task involving metal may be too broad for my purposes.

Alternately, you could start with a level in Armorcraft or Weaponcraft (Melee) and get a bonus towards attempts to create related items.
Nerre wrote:Name: Hieronymus von Morgentag
Description: coming soon
Backstory: coming soon
Innate Skill: space-time-manipulation.
That skill will be of zero utility. You won't be able to affect the space-time with a broken chair and a pocket watch. I'd suggest something else, and I'm willing to work with you to develop something you'd like for this character. Innate skills are also just a boost to get you started... within a short span of time you'll be able to achieve level 1 in a variety of other skills, which is why I'm nudging people towards more generally useful ones.

Nerre not reading the first line of this post brings up another point (you get to be my guinea pig here o:) ). Castle Heterodyne is deadly. If you don't pay attention, it CAN kill you. Sparks can always be replaced with new madboys or madgirls. I'm not going for a party wipe here, but if you rush headlong into danger, don't be surprised if it doesn't turn out well. The ability to craft items and devices will be critical to your survival.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nerre
Game Master

Re: Surviving Castle Heterodyne - Closed for now

Post by Nerre » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:12 am

I did read it, but I thought it was just flavour text, not actually telling us "just make up what you want". ;D

I will go with "heavy current and generator engineering" then.
I was thinking about shrinking/growing/speeding/slowing technology when I wrote space-time, not high end stuff like teleporting or time travel.