DND Noob looking for a forum game...

TheSedated
Of Few Words

DND Noob looking for a forum game...

Post by TheSedated » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:29 am

Hi there. I'm TheSedated (derived this nick from a Ramones song if someone wonders).

Topic is: I've played several P&Ps (if someone knows them: Kult, Cyberpunk and a small german end time game called Degenesis (link goes to german wikipedia as there's no entry in the english one), but nothing on a regular basis. As I'm a reader of Goblins comic for about 4 years now, I'm damn interested in DnD, but don't happen to find a group. DnD seems to be not that popular in Germany I think. I'm freshly 30 years old and look at goblinscomic.com and these forums on an almost daily basis. So, is there someone willing to have me in a forums DnD game even if I'm such a total noob when it comes to DnD and P&Ps?

Regards,
TheSedated

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Re: DND Noob looking for a forum game...

Post by LAYF » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:53 am

Hay Sedated :)

First off, welcome to the forums, or more, these parts of it (as I see you have been here for a time now)

Second, Pardon my writing and grammar skills, I'm really bad at this.

All that out of the way:

Minelings is looking for a player! Its not DnD, but it is a nice little rpg with graphics and functional rules. it is more focused on survival and "tribe" building, but you might like that? you can PM the GM Nerre if you are interested!

By same GM has just opened a Minesweeper game, also with RPG parts, there are still spots open here: Space odyssey

There is also an "always open for new players" game called Civilization V: Heart of the Maelstrom Another Civ game, text based this time, in this game there is a lot of focus on group work and trying to build up a functional tribe. there are also a heavy fantasy setting with lots of combat and magic. to start playing, just start voting on the last update, and ask the GM Aegis when you can have a character (normally the rule is 5 votes first, but sometimes new users gets a little ahead because our GMs are nice :D )

The Watchtower is a game by Wearshats where anyone can play, In this game all users/players try to help two adventures escape a watchtower that seems to be mostly illusions, by figuring out the "code/solution" behind different riddles, puzzles and hints that are somehow references to music.

I Think Cavemen is still open for players, this is mostly a writing game with focus on role play, each player takes up the role of a "stone age" character in their struggle to find a good and stable home, survive natures harsh treatment and all in all trying to get bye! its really well written and the GMs are fair and good at what they do (yes GMs, there are two)

Shipwrecked is a DnD game, ran by Theis and has one player spot open. it is really fun to read how the players seem to be more or less insane, but the challenges and puzzles are cleaver and inventive, so who would not go insane?

And then there are The Goblin adventures league, The league itself is mostly a "talk rpg" with a few mini gambles here and there where your character can win some gold. but more importantly, it is a "portal" to many new games, mostly mini dungeon runs where you can use the same character in multiple games by multiple GMs, and even be a GM yourself if you feel like it. To get a character simply write a name, color you'd like and a background story. You will start with 10 gold right away that you can use on beer, gamble or whatever, maybe a shop later when people return with some items to sell!
You can interact with the other players as soon as you have made a character, and when the main GM Thinks has the time, she will make an update with some talk, and if you have gambles with the result of said gamble...

All in all, lots of opportunity for playing games, and there are far more than what I've mentioned here.. this is simply what I know to be open right now...

Glad to see a new face, and I hope you'll be happy and content here in the forum :D

Best Regards -LAYF-
-Best regards LAYF

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:32 am

If you're interested in Shipwrecked, you can find some more info on the story & characters here:

http://goblinsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=951

It's D&D 3.5e and we're all new to the system, so it would be absolutely no problem if you needed a hand with the rules etc. because most of us are in the same situation. It's not super serious (we're quite incompetent) but if you're ok with a more easygoing adventure then I'm sure you'll fit right in :)

LAYF's list is an awesome one though, and new players are always welcome in the Goblin Adventurer's League! There's three 'quests' happening at the moment which you can check out if you want to see the sorts of adventurers on offer (all titled 'GAL Quest XX: ...') but they'll be finishing pretty soon so we'll have new ones coming up in the next couple of weeks.

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:42 am

What is P&P?

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:00 am

I'm the DM for shipwrecked and would love to introduce you to D&D :)

@gamecreator: I guess P&P stands for pen and paper as D&D usually is refered to being pen and paper and the alternative would be live action roleplaying (shorted to LARP) :)
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

TheSedated
Of Few Words

Post by TheSedated » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:58 am

So.... great, first I talk about being online in these forums every day and then I'm gone for almost 2 days. ^^ But okay, had birthday and friday and I had helluva party on friday. On saturday, my head had helluva party and I think the only one involved in all this not very happy with the situation is my liver... so yeah. ^^

Shipwrecked looks quite cool, I just started to read what has been done there and am interested there. I'm looking specifically for DnD to get a better understanding of what's happening in the comic. For example, the Hold Person/Remove Parallysis-forums-cataclysm was a quite interesting thing to watch (for the first 3 or 4 pages) until it became fanatic and got a bit boring. There were other rule discussions I was unable to get because I don't know much about DnD. Which is kinda good, because pages like the one with hold person/remove para have no flaws and are quite intense when you're not corrupted by knowledge. But on the other hand, there are things I won't get properly without some rule knowledge. And I miss all the forum games going on here. :P

Btw, are there online rule books for DnD so I can get familiar with it?

@gamecreator: Theis2 is right. P&P means pen & paper. We've got some english phrases here in germany, english speaking people won't use or even know. Like.... a "Cell/Smart Phone" is called "Handy". I learned the name Pen&Paper from my cousin (who introduced me to Kult and the others... oh, I forgot Call of Cthulhu!), who's playing tabletops at most. His completely custom build ork army is quite insane and I think, beside the rule books, games workshop hasn't seen a single $ from him. ^^

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:09 am

TheSedated wrote:Btw, are there online rule books for DnD so I can get familiar with it?
Yes!

Most of the versions and rulebooks are copyrighted. Selling those books is how TSR makes its money, after all.

But there was an open source version of one edition which isn't that different from what Thunt is more or less working from. But, as noted, Thunt tends to tweak the rules to his liking. There's a lot of homebrew in what he does. Which is what sets off the controversies and nitpicking. Hold Person is supposed to be complete paralysis, but Thunt never played it that way as a GM and that's not the way he wrote it. I figure you just have to accept that the comic is based on D&D but doesn't follow it exactly. Works for me.

But anyway... you can dive into the D20 SRD and see what you can make of it. It's unfortunately not set up like a Player's Handbook, which eases you through the process step by step, explaining things as it goes and building from one thing to the next. Rather, it's more of a Wiki, allowing you to look up individual spells and creatures and so on one article at a time. But it's the best we've got if you don't want to pick up one of the copyrighted books.

If you have questions, ask. I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

Also: You might want to try something like Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, or Dragon Age. They're PC games which use a modified version of the D&D rules to run a campaign. Combat is a little simplified and a lot more fast-paced (the computer doing all the dice rolls and calculations for you allows turns to happen in real time, instead of a minute or more for every 6 second "turn"), but the basic rules, spells, and ideas are there.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:45 am

I also send a PM with the link to that side, and I will be more than willing to help you through step by step. I also use myth-weavers to handle character sheets, as they are simple to use and edit, and it helps fill out certain things like bonuses to skills based on ability score and other various things.

And it is pure D&D 3.5 ruleset with a bit of homebrew various places (the various mushrooms that Ala/Thinkslogically is collecting is an example of that)
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:36 pm

TheSedated wrote:For example, the Hold Person/Remove Parallysis-forums-cataclysm was a quite interesting thing to watch (for the first 3 or 4 pages) until it became fanatic and got a bit boring.
That's why I don't like DnD. It is so complicated, that apparently it doesn't agree with itself.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:46 pm

I dunno - I started playing with a group of similarly noobish folk quite recently and we've just handwaved past the rules we didn't know or understand for each session until we could go and look up a rule book. We've built up to understanding probably 90% of the rules now, but we've never let the complexity stop us having fun with it.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:52 am

Like LooksAtYouFunny wrote, 2 of my games still are looking for more players. Feel free to sign up. :)
Links are in my signature.
:zzz: