Cavemen - Survival of the Fittest

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:31 am

Intro:

Cavemen: SotF is a group creative writing game. ItÔÇÖs roleplaying and storytelling all in one. Each person will control a character in the tribe and will have goals to achieve, both personally and together as a group. There is a points system in place to encourage good quality roleplaying and longer, detailed posting.

Progress in the game is group driven. Small posts from the GMs will be frequent but longer game-progressing posts will be once per week. Thus, a level of self-moderation and self-sufficiency is needed in the game. People will be allowed and expected to make their own way in the game. Each player will be allotted a set amount of starting karma (20 points) and will have the ability to spend those points to ensure the success of an action.

(example: Ugga gathers several fallen branches from the forest and some dry grass from the nearby field and brings them back to the camp. He places them carefully in a stack and then takes the grass he had collected and places it in a small ball beneath the stack of wood. Having nothing but a few rocks at hand he bangs them together near the grass, luckily a spark from the stones lands on the grass and Ugga quickly begins to softly blow on the spark until the grass alights in a foosh of fire. Ugga then adds some small twigs to his growing fire until the branches catch fire as well) - Lighting a fire is a minor action and generally costs 1 point.

You should keep a track of your points at the end of your posts, for easy reference.

Setting:
The game begins in a lush valley only moments after the tribe has decided where to build their new village. The new village is located in one of the following areas (Forest, Plains, Caves) of the players choice. Depending on where the tribe decides to settle, different challenges will be presented. First of all, homes will need to be built and food will need to be collected.

Character Creation:
Players create their characters by choosing a name and then describing their characters physical description as well as a few skills and traits that they possess. (ex: hunting, fishing, etc) Roleplaying in a way that fits your characterÔÇÖs skills, traits, personality and (eventual) job/role within the tribe is a surefire way to build up your stock of points!

Note:
GMs are BadgeAddict and nikohl. The GMs are in charge of NPCs (who do not have points) but will also each have a character of their own, so that they can participate and move along the game. For fairness each GM will not award him or herself any kind of bonus points, but their character will gain posting and weekly points during play as normal.

Based on the amount of interest, this game will start in roughly 1 week.

We also ask, in giving the player a little bit of control, that you pick from three starting locations (Caves, Forest, Plains). We will blend the story based on this "starting location". Thanks.

Please enjoy this pretty picture of your new home, this is meant to be a simple map of the immediate surroundings. Keep in mind that it does not contain all details of the area.
► Show Spoiler
Also, please don't expect that it will ever get updated, but who knows, it might.
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Re: Cavemen - Survival of the Fittest

Post by nikohl » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:32 am

Feel free to start coming up with character ideas and posting them at this stage, if you've got a concept you really want to play. Badge and I will create our GM characters last, so we've not taken up a role someone else really wanted. Please bear in mind that the Chief and his wife are NPCs at this stage.

Borys
Voices Opinions

Post by Borys » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:57 am

Name: Boro
Profession: Carpentry
Physical description:
Young male, quite tall and skinny, not very handsome though. Nothing special, just a regular guy.
Complains of Everything in Minelings.
Boro in Call of Ctulhu - Filipstad
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

In God School as Dies in Battle

My own game! Castle Story Open for everyone!

BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Post by BeanDip » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:11 pm

Looks really neat. I'm busy with stuff today but I'll get a character out tommorow or late tonight.
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:34 pm

Name: Muck
Profession: Warrior/hunter
Description: Muck is a muscle-bound ogre of a caveman, a quality he augments with cunning to come out on top in battle, be it with man or beast. His prized possession is an old lion's mane, kept clean [as can be] and waterproof with a chunk of edged stone [quartz] and animal fat.

While most in his new tribe believe it to be from his first kill, in truth it once belonged to a saber tooth his father had tamed as a cub and, in turn, he had grown up with. With the great cat at his side he learned his cunning and to hunt with as little as a fang knife for taking down prey. The beast had been raised to treat Muck like its own cub, and so when another great cat bore down on him one day, the beloved pet sacrificed itself in Muck's defense. His father treated the hide of the old cat and gave it to Muck, both as a lesson and a memory.

Eventually the time came for him to strike off on his own, leading him to the tribe he now protects, much as his father had done for his old tribe. To do so he fashions his own weapons, though he can't make a decent spear and tends to stick to knives, clubs and other close ranged weapons. One day it will come time to teach the young of the tribe how to fight and create such tools on their own, an activity he looks forward to as the thought of sharing his knowledge with those to come makes him proud of his skills.

He has his eyes on several different females in the tribe, though he has yet to decide who to pursue. None have shown interest in him, though, and while he could certainly make one of them his mate, the prospect of 'hunting' for the right one is enough to deter the thought of forcing one into courtship.

He keeps his rough, dark brown hair bound behind him and tucked beneath the saber's coat; his warriors mane is a thing of pride to him. Most warriors would sooner scrape their heads with sharpened stone than give any enemy something to grab onto. Often, though, one can find leaves and mud he has smeared onto himself as camouflage worked into his hair, making it a further unruly mess to behold, despite the boastful power it represents.

Starting location preference: Forest
Last edited by Mereneth on Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:33 am

Name: Min
Looks: average height, average weight/physique; short, raven-black hair (if any at that moment), many scars
Profession/talent: herbalist/cook/alchemist/inventor/soothsayer (whatever is available to our tribe, GMs, please give me some direction on this)

Min is an average female of the tribe, as far as looks, height, weight are concerned, but her curiosity isn't matched by anyone, not even in the stories of the elders. She enjoys exploring quite a bit and experimenting what any item that she finds can do, alone or in combination with any other thing. She's always the first to taste a new kind of berries, to pick an unknown plant, to lick the skin of a toad (this made her slop down onto the ground, drooling, while she raved like a lunatic for hours, but she keeps on insisting that she has seen a wondrous future for the tribe on this little 'trip'), to try and make new tools - or known tools by a new way - and thusly will probably never live to see her days as an elder of the tribe. Her skin is covered with scarred tissue from all the burns, rashes, cuts and whatnot she has experienced in her young live so far, and more often than not her raven black hair and eyebrows are all but gone. If not, she keeps them very very short to avoid them from catching fire yet again.
Most the tribe think of her as crazy, though opinions vary on whether she has been so to begin with, or if that came from something suspicious that Min ingested, inhaled or whatever. You never know with this girl... Almost all of the tribe can agree that Min is harmless enough, though, at least to the people around her, so she and her antics are tolerated.
Besides, she has come up with several ... unconventional ideas - like wearing hides bound together with ropes on your feet, to keep them warm and less likely to get hurt from the ground and hostile things - that, in the eyes of a few at least, make her an asset to the tribe.

Vote for starting location: caves
(because cavemen, duh! :lol: )
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:42 am

Loving the character concepts so far you guys! Don't forget to pick a location you'd most like the tribe to start. Oh and I don't know if Badge has any ideas for a name for the tribe yet, but I don't - so if you want to suggest names for the tribe, please do :)

@Gathers, Min could be any of the professions you've chosen as its mostly for "fluff" purposes - none of those are off limits or anything. The main thing they will influence is the personal quests set for you - they might be different for Min the Cook than they would be for Min the Soothsayer, although they will be influenced by other things than just her job. So pick your favourite I guess!

Borys
Voices Opinions

Post by Borys » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:43 am

caves
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:05 am

I guess I might give this a try. Not quite sure about my character yet so gonna consider this while eating in a moment..

And as a tribe name what about being the Gob gobs? For the sole reason of it being simple and similar to goblins.. Not to mention that it is kinda horrible and the only thing I could think of right now >.<

Name: Boe
physical description: Tall and rather slim. A bit heavier than he looks which is because he is mostly made of muscles rather than fat. This make him just slightly stronger than the average person, but can't compete with those regularly doing a lot of hard physical labour.
Proffesion: Zooologist. Knowing about the local wild life, where to find what, what is usually able to lure them and various special traits they have.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:55 pm

nikohl wrote:Loving the character concepts so far you guys! Don't forget to pick a location you'd most like the tribe to start. Oh and I don't know if Badge has any ideas for a name for the tribe yet, but I don't - so if you want to suggest names for the tribe, please do :)

@Gathers, Min could be any of the professions you've chosen as its mostly for "fluff" purposes - none of those are off limits or anything. The main thing they will influence is the personal quests set for you - they might be different for Min the Cook than they would be for Min the Soothsayer, although they will be influenced by other things than just her job. So pick your favourite I guess!
Erm, so... the job is what they actually do for the rest of the people in the tribe? And it's mostly important for getting quests, did I understand that right?

Not an easy decision, no siree!

The way I have described her, I doubt that she could be a (usually respected) 'teller'/soothsayer in the tribe. Maybe she can start out as a cook and develop during the course of the game to some kind of medicine woman (with herbs and potions and soothsaying and all that)? Of course that would mean she would have to have some success in what she's doing, and/or do something that gains her the respect of the whole tribe. :praise:

If development isn't an option, I think I'll go with inventor, instead. :idea:
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:33 am

Long term development is definitely an option - we thought about having set skills and traits that could be bought with points but we decided to keep it a bit more abstracted out. So if you roleplay towards Seerdom, it's very likely to happen. After some quests and key events and things, I'm sure :)

That's another thing, guys - feel free to PM Badge & me (always both please) with long term goals that you come up with, ideas, plans and so forth. That way we can include quests and game events that fit well with people's goals and hopes for the game.

For example, Uggo could be spending quite a lot of time hunting or gathering supplies in the forest areas, but in his heart he longs for a wife and child. Uggo's player could obviously roleplay this out in his posts, but he could also make a little PM note to us about that so that it's definitely picked up on, and we can maybe give him a long term quest in that direction. On the other hand, Uggo could have no interest in family life at all, so if we're told that, we can avoid giving quests that make no sense because they're things the character wouldn't strive for.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:05 am

So, simplifying the above: Based on what descriptions you give us, we will be making up some personal goals to strive for. There are also "secret" goals, much like achievements on the Xbox 360, which, when you perform the required action or group of actions will grant you said achievement.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:06 am

Ok. I'll start her out as a humble cook, then. (I hope that way at least she'll always have enough to eat. :lol: ) Besides, Min might accidentally (or purposefully, when she is trying out how this new ingredient would influence the taste of the soup ^^) create medicine, potions or something, and thus start her development towards medicine woman or whatever. :D

@ nikohl: About ... Uggo (and others) finding a partner and starting a family... Would the GMs prefer supplying us with NPC mates, predominantly, or would a PC-PC romance be approved, too?
What time span are we talking about for the game anyways? I mean you did write something about how much making a baby would cost. But that takes about 9 months to ... arrive. On the other hand, everyone describing everyday things like lighting a fire meticulously to gain more points might make progress of time in general rather slow...
I'm not trying to complain, I'm just trying to get a good idea what you had in mind for this. :)
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:36 am

Progress will probably be pretty slow. We've talked about how we'll do the seasons changing, and about the potential for jumps forward in time, but none of this is concrete yet. Making babies is definitely going to take quite a while in terms of real life time, especially if your day's posting consists of lighting a fire and sweeping your cave or something!

Characters can get involved with each other if they like, otherwise mates and children and so on can be NPCs. There are enough adult NPCs out there to suffice!
---
Edit!
Okay, Badge has helped me explain it a bit better while he's at work, so here is a slightly better explained version of what I said:

Time can pass as fast or slow as the players want to, and the story will progress at the pace that is set by said players.

Throughout the week, mini-updates will be created by either or both of the GMs, these updates will include answers to questions and the continuation of sights, sounds etc - the results of exploration not already determined by player point spending and so on. These will often be contained alongside the GM's own roleplaying post, so these mini updates/responses should be quite frequent if they're necessary.

At the end of a real-time week (ish) time will then move again with a Major Update (usually compiled by both GMs), though the actual time that passes will depend on events that have taken place. Major updates will include the resolution of events/problems/issues that have been given by the GMs and completed by the players and will also include the introduction of other problems/events, and a brief description of NPC tribesfolk actions during the time period.

Since the GMs will be reading posts and participating themselves, they can get a feel for how fast players are posting and how much game-time is used in each post. Based on this, time will move at a faster (or slower again) pace if needed at the point of the update.

Hopefully this helps? Ask away if you want further info on any of it :)

One point brought up in the above is GM responses - which hopefully I can clarify before it becomes a query! Obviously we've said at the start, don't wait for us all the time, because you can spend points to succeed. Thus, if you want to go explore over the ridge and say you've found a lone deer ripe for hunting, then spend points on that and go ahead. But we've just said that we'll respond about exploration and things - what we mean there is we might give you further information when we post, or describe a new area that you as a player couldn't have known about in time to add to your own post. Occasionally we might have to correct something which has been posted that contradicts already given information (eg discovering a forest where the map shows plains) but this should be quite rare.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:30 pm

One question: Did you just watch 10.000 BC? Most of the ideas I had are already taken, and I just noticed that movie was in free TV in germany about 2-3 days ago, I was thinking I would play a game with that setup...lol. Here it is. I will think about what char I will make.

Maybe some kind of Scout/Runner/Range fighter.

How advanced is our technology? Do we already know bows or are we still using spears or spear throwers?
:zzz:

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:01 pm

I have not recently watched that film, but I think I saw it once. I'm glad it's a setup you like though!

I don't think we will have bows yet, although a craftsman could invent one later on probably. Spear throwers definitely exist. There's nothing saying you can't have the same concept as someone else by the way - I am sure a tribe would have several warriors (maybe not several cooks in a small tribe, but you know what I mean.)

You don't really have metal - only "found metal" because there's no mining or smithing - so most weapons are wood and stone or bone.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:00 am

...and teeth or claws. :D

Okay, than I will be some kind of scout/runner/climber/ranged/crafter mixup. :)

Name: Honn Hitto
Appearance: Hitto is a bit smaller than most of the other warriors and does not look strong, maybe cause he is still young, but he got other qualities. His hair is cut short in a messy stile, but he likes it that way since long hair gets in the way and annoys him. His skin is tanned from being outside the cave very often. He is wiry, agile, stealthy and fast. He can outrun everybody in the tribe and can chase prey for a long time, often until it collapses. Or he lurks for it patiently and silently. He also is a good climber, climbing the highest trees to shoot down bats, birds and other prey, but also bringing down honey from time to time.

Profession: Scout/Runner/Climber.
Character: When the situation is not serious, Hitto is some kind of joker, making fun and sometimes even playing harmless tricks on the others. If the situation is serious he stays calm and starts to use his brain. He is a smart guy and knows that fighting from the distance is better if the oponent is stronger or the prey is faster. This is why he is so successful.Beside that he is very trust worthy and does not give away secrets and keeps his word. He talks alot if he is in the right mood, but he can also be quiet the hole day if nothing is to be said. When he is not on the run to gather food or scout the surroundings of the tribe, he often sits close to the fire and prepares food or carves. He has a little knife his father once found, of which he is very proud of. He does not know what it is made of. He does not use it to fight since he does not want to break or lose it, only as a tool and to prepare food.
Like being a good warrior, being a hunter and climber for honey is honored very much in the tribe, since honey is one of the most nutrious foods you can find. And climbing is as risky as fighting prey or other tribes, and you need a loot of skill to do it. This is where the Honne in his name comes from. Honn is an old word for Honey meaning "good food", and it is used as a honorious title saying "Bringer of good food". The word hunter also derives on Honn, but it lost the "good" on the way saying only "he who brings food". Therefore the title "Honn" is also used for very successful hunters. Hitto is no hunter yet, but he tries hard. But because of his great skills in honey gathering, he already earned the title at his very young age. This made him very self-confident, and the only thing he did not achieve so far was to get a wife. But hey, he is only 14 now, so who knows what time will bring?

Got a little example video for what he does:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W_iMve4xvg
This is part of a longer BBC documentation I once watched. :)

Edit: Changed it a bit so he got some things he can develop during the game.
Last edited by Nerre on Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
:zzz:

CroverusRaven
Converses Frequently

Post by CroverusRaven » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:47 am

On tribe name,I don't think we should have one. We're just "the tribe". Meeting other cavemen, they are "not the tribe". This looks like a lot of fun and I'm willing to join.

Starting Location: Forest

Name: Durang
Appearance: Durang stands as one of the tallest members of the tribe, but s not exceedingly muscular, and his arms and legs appear almost lanky. He keeps his dark brown hair chopped short except for a small rat tail he lets grow out which is long enough to reach halfway down his back. He usually keeps it curled around his neck when active to avoid it snagging on anything. He has bright green eyes and a flat nose with a large horizontal gash, cause years ago by a bad fall. His large hand and feet are roughed and calloused from use and he has small scratches all over. He always tries to have lengths of rope made from plant fibers and usually wears the lengths around his waist. His muscles, though not as large as some of the others, are well defined and his height and arm length gives him considerable reach.

Profession: Climber/Builder/Gatherer
Character: Durang is usually soft spoken. He has strong opinions but prefers to listen to others first before offering any sort of advice or contributing ideas. He finds pleasure in his work, and is proud of his accomplishments. He enjoys having a good time too, and while not the loudest or most enthusiastic during any celebrations, he will not shy away. He eagerly offers his assistance to any tasks, but when not actively performing a task he divides his time between exploring the lands around where they are settled currently, eager to find new things, or staying in camp and working with the crafters, usually building large scale things. He has many great ideas that he wishes to share with the tribe, though keeps most to himself as he does not want to seem eccentric.
Last edited by CroverusRaven on Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:58 am

We would like to ask that everyone give a rough starting age of your character.

Age should be given in either number of winters old or number of summers old. This will help in our developing personal goals for you.

Also, the current plan for start date is this coming Monday.

Thanks,
The GMs

Borys
Voices Opinions

Post by Borys » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:59 am

20 winters.
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:18 am

18 sommers for Boe in that case
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:34 pm

Vote tally for starting location:
Caves: 2 (Gathers, Borys)
Forest: 2 (Mereneth, Croverus)
Plains: 0

Don't forget to vote, guys! Theis and Nerre (and Bean, if she joins) have still to vote. Feel free to try and convince each other if you're desperate to start in one particular place :)

The map in the first post that Badge has made shows the smaller clump of forest, the caves, and the plains - thus you can see the starting locations are reasonably close to each other.

Borys
Voices Opinions

Post by Borys » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:41 pm

They'll both probably choose plains and it will be zonk.
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:51 pm

Oh nooo...if there's a three-way tie you start in interdimensional space!

Just kidding. I guess in the event of a tied vote, Badge and I will break the tie.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:34 pm

Am I seeing it correctly when I say the caves are the three holes in the wall? Because then I would agree with Borys with fucking the voting system up and say plains!

Or just stick to the caves as I originally wanted but forgot to write in my post. :P
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked