The arena

UnderstandsLittle
Whispers Softly

The arena

Post by UnderstandsLittle » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:24 pm

You awake, laying on a cold floor. Your head hurts. A quick check reveals that there's a nice sized bump on the back of your head. A guard walks up to you and shouts "ON YOUR FEET PRISONER!" You manage to stand up despite the pain and are roughly shoved out the door and shoved past a large number of caged doors, many of them containing roughly humanoid forms. A quick shove lands you in a large open space with grating all around. Standing across from you is another group of four humanoids. A quick glance to either side of you show three others. A voice rings out "Welcome ... to the arena"

Just so that I have something to do while I balance games that I've designed, I'm starting up an arena fighting game using the 3.5e Dungeons and Dragons rules. Due to a lack of rulebooks, the only sources I'm allowing are the PHBI, and the Psionics Handbook.

The campaign will start at 5th level, and probably run up to level 9 or 10.

You have 4,000 gp to spend on equipment, though choose wisely, as this is all the equipment you'll have for a long time.

I'll be taking at most 4 people, and will fill the party with NPC's as necessary.

If you have any questions, post here, or PM me.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Re: The arena

Post by LAYF » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:29 pm

UnderstandsLittle wrote:You awake, laying on a cold floor. Your head hurts. A quick check reveals that there's a nice sized bump on the back of your head. A guard walks up to you and shouts "ON YOUR FEET PRISONER!" You manage to stand up despite the pain and are roughly shoved out the door and shoved past a large number of caged doors, many of them containing roughly humanoid forms. A quick shove lands you in a large open space with grating all around. Standing across from you is another group of four humanoids. A quick glance to either side of you show three others. A voice rings out "Welcome ... to the arena"

Just so that I have something to do while I balance games that I've designed, I'm starting up an arena fighting game using the 3.5e Dungeons and Dragons rules. Due to a lack of rulebooks, the only sources I'm allowing are the PHBI, and the Psionics Handbook.

The campaign will start at 5th level, and probably run up to level 9 or 10.

You have 4,000 gp to spend on equipment, though choose wisely, as this is all the equipment you'll have for a long time.

I'll be taking at most 4 people, and will fill the party with NPC's as necessary.

If you have any questions, post here, or PM me.
Psionics Handbook or expanded Psionics Handbook... I mostly ask be-course, well I like Psionics Handbook most... but its 3.0, not 3.5...
-Best regards LAYF

UnderstandsLittle
Whispers Softly

Post by UnderstandsLittle » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:34 pm

There's nothing I can find about it being expanded. The name on the cover is Bruce R. Cordell, if that's any help.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:40 pm

Expanded would be in the name. The expanded psionic handbook contains playable races. The normal does not.
-Best regards LAYF

UnderstandsLittle
Whispers Softly

Post by UnderstandsLittle » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:44 pm

No it does not contain playable races.

Just the regular one then. Sorry.

I suppose that I should add that monster races are available. Not just what's in the PH, but also the MM. Your in jail for a reason, and the police aren't speciesist.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:44 pm

seems this is rather for those with more experience than mine. I know only the basic player classes (as player chars) and don't even have an idea what PH and MM is. Never player with psionics.
:zzz:

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:54 am

Nerre wrote:seems this is rather for those with more experience than mine. I know only the basic player classes (as player chars) and don't even have an idea what PH and MM is. Never player with psionics.
PH = Players Handbook
MM = Monster Manual
DMG = Dungeon Master's Guide

You can find some of the above + some psionics online for free at http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

UnderstandsLittle
Whispers Softly

Post by UnderstandsLittle » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:12 am

Any interest?

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:58 am

5th level, 4000 gp worth of equipment, in an arena, using only PHB and psionics? So, will you reveal whether the players can form a party, or will everyone be solo?

As it stands, under the above conditions, druid and cleric would be the only healers, wizard would probably not have his spellbook, which leaves sorcerer, psionics could be strong, and all of the fighter types are likely less powerful than the healers for sure and possibly the psi... Without knowing how long 'fights' last, ranking classes is a little tougher since fighter types can keep swinging if they live long enough. A barbarian might have HP. A ranger could start to TWF. And a rogue could easily be denied backstabbbing in any decent 1 on 1 arena, plus not have much opportunity to use skills. A monk might be able to run away, but in arenas that tends to get you killed from the disapointed spectators. And without more books being allowed, most of the classes do not have access to more common powerful combos (feats, magics, PrCs).

I'd have to think more whether a char that could survive would be interesting, or even which chars could survive (other than the healers).

Paladin could heal too. Making sorcadin more viable.

What method are you allowing for character stat rolls?

UnderstandsLittle
Whispers Softly

Post by UnderstandsLittle » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:37 am

You will be in a party, four vs four against others. Wizards will have access to their spellbook, not going to shut them down.

4d6b3, if you aren't happy with your rolls 28 pb.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:43 am

if you would slightly raise the start amount, I could just take Grubb from the old arena game which wasn't continued after a few turns. :)
:zzz:

UnderstandsLittle
Whispers Softly

Post by UnderstandsLittle » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:47 pm

Start amount of what?

Feytala
Converses Frequently

Post by Feytala » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:01 pm

I think I am interested... For future Characterbuilding - No other books will be opened (Because of planning for Prestigeclasses) ?

How are Hitpoints measured ? Rolling ? Maximum ?

Will there only be "Fighting" or actual roleplaying, too ?

If the later is true : Which world ? (Mainly because of gods, Relation of races, etc...)

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:44 am

TTW, I believe bards may have some healing capability as well.
Last edited by Davecom3 on Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

UnderstandsLittle
Whispers Softly

Post by UnderstandsLittle » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:22 am

Hit points: Max at First Level, Average for the rest.

Roleplaying: How much can you do? It won't just be fighting, you'll have time outside fights to do stuff.

Gods: Any from Complete Divine.

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:29 pm

Out of curiosity, would you allow the Serenity feat? http://dndtools.eu/feats/dragon-compend ... ity--3394/