Recruitment Thread for Pell's D&D 3.5 Game

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Re: Recruitment Thread for Pell's D&D 3.5 Game

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:00 pm

Yeah sorry, with taking care of aegis I haven't had much character sheet fixing time....and I'm starting to wonder if one of the Mods is editing my sheet...because I never crossed anything out...I'm more of a deleter.

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:11 pm

Spider, should your character's Dex be 24 instead of 22?
► Show Spoiler

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:21 pm

Attribute + skill yes, that's what I meant. But I mean more you might use the same combination for doing multiple things, but you could then take a specialty toward a more specific thing. So one skill will generically help with several things, but your specialty then makes you amazing at what you're meant to be extra good with. As for the x4 vs Pathfinder's +3...eh, my biggest issue with 3.5 vs Pathfinder... I like some skill combinations, but not others, (ie perception being a single thing I do like, speak language combined with forgery I do NOT like, disable device and lockpicking being combined I like) but I love that cross class skills aren't penalized. Why CAN'T I have a wizard good at bluff? Etc. Though if cross class skills either didn't cost double OR have reduced ranks, I'd probably universally like 3.5's skills more.
If I were to combine everything I liked best from edition to edition, though, I'd end with a horrifying hodgepodge of 3.5, pathfinder, 4e, and AD&D, and NO ONE wants that.

Well! I'll pick up the more generic things I need for Cass, and then I should be about done. I need bolts and rations and that should handle most necessities. Then it's just a matter of grabbing the little situationally useful things like marbles, string, spare cloth, and whatnot.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:02 pm

Synch wrote:Spider, should your character's Dex be 24 instead of 22?
I think 22 is correct, it takes more PB points to advance an attribute by 1 the higher you get.

8 DEX + 6 PB = 14 DEX + 2 PB = 15 DEX + 2 PB = 16 DEX (total PB = 10)
16 DEX + 2 Racial Bonus = 18 DEX
18 DEX + 2 Level Bonus = 20 DEX
20 DEX + 2 Magic Item = 22 DEX
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:07 am

I don't know what items i am allowed will and if i can get etherial items from that plane

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:51 am

BadgeAddict wrote:Yeah sorry, with taking care of aegis I haven't had much character sheet fixing time....and I'm starting to wonder if one of the Mods is editing my sheet...because I never crossed anything out...I'm more of a deleter.
"Crossed out" was a figure of speech.
Amara wrote:I love that cross class skills aren't penalized. Why CAN'T I have a wizard good at bluff? Etc.
It's true that cross-class stuff can be a pain (cf: Badge's kobold), but I don't like going too far in allowing any character to gain any skill, because it steals thunder from the classes that specialize in being skilled (like rogues or cloistered clerics). If you have enough books, you can eventually find substitutions and feats and such that give you a lot of options for expanding your skill list; I tend to think that route is better than dropping the restriction altogether. Although I do think the base structure could use a little tweaking (my main pet peeve is that Clerics, despite being spiritual ministers to their community, don't get Sense Motive).
Though if cross class skills either didn't cost double OR have reduced ranks, I'd probably universally like 3.5's skills more. If I were to combine everything I liked best from edition to edition, though, I'd end with a horrifying hodgepodge of 3.5, pathfinder, 4e, and AD&D, and NO ONE wants that.
Actually that's pretty much exactly what I want, except maybe for the AD&D part (don't know enough about it to judge). And then I want it to be published officially as D&D 6E, so that it can include product identity monsters and come with nice illustrations. Kickstarter campaign coming soon.
I need bolts and rations and that should handle most necessities.
You don't need rations, I'm not up to the effort of tracking food.
Then it's just a matter of grabbing the little situationally useful things like marbles, string, spare cloth, and whatnot.
IMO, you don't need those either. >:D
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:50 am

Name : Zaks
Race : Zh'klet
Class : Psion (Kineticist) lvl - 9
Align : Neutral Evil
90 Power Points/Day:
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Re-posting this because, this is the character sheet that I am using...
Change log:
- Revised Backstory
- Added Nimble and raised Initiate from +7 to +9
- Corrected ability score snaffu
- revised inertial armor details
- revised skill points (removed 6 SP from Sleight of hand & 8 SP from search, placing 11 SP into knowledge skills & 4 SP into Disable Device)
- switched Incarnate power for Plane Shift, Psionic (which could be a way to explain Burns existence in our party, perhaps I went and grabbed him from the etheral plane?) {Plane shift + adapt body would allow me to survive in whatever plane I shifted to.}
- Replaced psychic reformation with Inertial Barrier
- Replaced Empathetic Feedback with Correspond
- Replaced Biofeedback with Psionic Levitate

I believe that this should bring everything up to date.
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:40 am, edited 5 times in total.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:06 am

BadgeAddict wrote:- Added Nimble and raised Initiate from +7 to +9
No no, the +7 is with Nimble. Otherwise all you have is your Dexterity modifier.
- switched Incarnate power for Plane Shift, Psionic (which could be a way to explain Burns existence in our party, perhaps I went and grabbed him from the etheral plane?) {Plane shift + adapt body would allow me to survive in whatever plane I shifted to.}
Okay, but please refrain from shifting out of the Plane where the game is taking place unless there's an in-plot reason to do so.

In other news, here's a snippet I wrote long ago which helps illustrate my point about the advantage of keeping related skills separate.

* The Lawful Good Archons avoid using Hide or Move Silently, considering all stealth to be dishonorable and craven, while the Lawful Evil Devils use both liberally, believing it is always worthwhile to escape detection so that you can complete your machinations uninterrupted. Chaotic Evil Demons like to ambush their prey or escape their predators, and thus make frequent use of Hide despite how much it tests their patience to sit still for any length of time, but when not frozen in hypnotically-intense anticipation of a moment of victory or defeat, they are very unlikely to Move Silently, as they have a primal desire to make their presence in the world known, and their motions are frenzied and frenetic things which cause a lot of environmental disruption. The Chaotic Good Fair Folk, on the other hand, are almost religious in their love for Moving Silently, as the ability to glide through a forest without rustling a single leaf is the perfect demonstration of the preternatural grace they enjoy; Hiding, however, is far less of a preference for them, as anytime they have deigned to visit a location, they tend to want to command the attention of those they find there. Since clairsentience of various sorts comes naturally to the Weirding Ones, they see little reason to physically visit a location if they do not want to be known for having done so; on those occasions when they do wish to escape detection, they would rather give others no reason to look for them by sliding silently through their blind spots, rather than remaining motionless and hoping that a scan intent on finding them should fail.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:20 am

so, in your above example, A neutral evil person would be willing to both hide and move silently, since they would rather not be 'known'.

my definition of NE is Selfish Evil....and my definition of NG is Selfless Good...haha...which makes this even more funny...my example in the backstory is when the crystal compels Zaks to help a couple farmers with their cart, where inside he just wouldn't help them as opposed to killing them. Other than his immediate need of food (which he can use sustenance to avoid, and does constantly) he would simplu avoid the farmers as they would have nothing that he needed....
I am going to add Sustenance to be a "assume always in use also" Zaks probably hasn't even real food in years, as he has no need to.

*need: Anything that fills an immediate desire or want, example: oo, that sparkles..I want it...pew pew...its mine now..mwahhaha

his goblin name would probably be "I want that"

and, as a warning, selfish evil very much defines him (though sometimes the crystal compels him to do good), so, when exploring a dungeon maze and upon seeing a chest, will probably on the most part ignore the hoard of monsters for the chest if possible, otherwise destroying all monsters before claiming the treasure...Sharing....is going to be fun...

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:46 am

BadgeAddict wrote:so, in your above example, A neutral evil person would be willing to both hide and move silently, since they would rather not be 'known'.
The paragraph wasn't about "persons" at all, but celestials and fiends - archetypal incarnations of cosmic principle, which (most scholars believe) manifest a semblance of personality only because mortals insist on anthropomorphizing them.
his goblin name would probably be "I want that"
It's taken. o:)
and, as a warning, selfish evil very much defines him (though sometimes the crystal compels him to do good), so, when exploring a dungeon maze and upon seeing a chest, will probably on the most part ignore the hoard of monsters for the chest if possible, otherwise destroying all monsters before claiming the treasure...Sharing....is going to be fun...
Okay, so make sure all the treasure hoards are protected by an "invisible to kobolds" ward, check....
My long-neglected blog.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:49 am

Cass is just primarily motivated by revenge and self preservation. That should be pretty easy to game as you need.
Hmmm I'm not sure how he's going to view the (not)kobold. I'll probably have to see that as it develops.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:07 am

well, amara, i suppose it would depend on which side of him you saw...if willpell will allow me to "compel" Zaks to do good, by order of the crystal and generally act evil, then you might actually be fairly confused as you watch him TRY to help an old lady across the street and then kill a wealthy noble in about 5 minutes of each other...

opportunistic of both evil & good...

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:34 am

Amara wrote:Cass is just primarily motivated by revenge and self preservation. That should be pretty easy to game as you need.
Hmmm I'm not sure how he's going to view the (not)kobold. I'll probably have to see that as it develops.
st

Revenge?

Against Who?
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:44 am

Traern's murderer. I left who they were intentionally vague so that Pell could work it in/use it how he saw best.
He swears to avenge Traern; taken too soon, he believes the elf's murderer deserves no less than a knife to his throat.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:05 am

BadgeAddict wrote:well, amara, i suppose it would depend on which side of him you saw...if willpell will allow me to "compel" Zaks to do good
This is definitely allowed.
by order of the crystal and generally act evil
This less so.
then you might actually be fairly confused as you watch him TRY to help an old lady across the street and then kill a wealthy noble in about 5 minutes of each other...

opportunistic of both evil & good...
Hopefully a little less cliched than that - if the crystal's idea of good is "help an old lady across the street", it certainly isn't a terribly strong force for Good in the world. But killing the wealthy noble is more likely to get something of a pass from some at least of the authorities. In general, Whiteleaf is a world that is leaving the entire concept of aristocracy behind, and the dwindling number of gentry that remain are often not especially nice people.
My long-neglected blog.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:12 am

So, according to levels of friendliness...

Zaks is...leg-humpingly friendly (the leg-humping is me attempting to explain his social awkwardness Charisma 8 ). Thanks to the crystal and voices he is vastly intelligent (20)about things that no koblod should know or care about, but putting that intelligence into practice (wisdom 10) isn't his forte. As a small creature he has lived his whole life dodging the feet of every other race which is significantly larger than he which has given him an uncanny agility (dexterity 20). Before finding his portable hole, he was a very sad kobold, because, although he *needed lots of things, he could not carry them all (Strength 8 ). Having found the portable hole has changed his life greatly in this regard.

Personalty wise, he is friendly to those who have not wronged him and he tends to hold the actions of one person of a race against that entire race. (be this good or bad), so, because Kast was the first wood elf that he met, he rather likes wood elfs, as Kast saved his life and since an elf is an elf to him, he probably treats all of elven kind the same. The hunters on the other hand, which were dwarves, are reviled, and he can't help but taste bitterness in his mouth when he sees any of their race and will typically attack them on sight due to this hatred.

Edit: so it was a bad metaphor of helping the old lady across the street...but, in the order of selfless good, would probably look more like giving money to the poor and "sometimes" going out of your way to do good, like saving some poor helpless creature from a mob.

and by "...generally acting evil..." i of course meant, evil within my NE allowance...which is on an "as-needed" basis..(*need: I want that) but generally not just up and killing willy nilly...but with the understanding that evil doesn't mean killing...sometimes "I want that" could be Zaks threatening to kill the wealthy noble and then the wealthy noble just giving it because he was scared....Zaks is intelligent after all...

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:22 am

The only part of that I have a significant problem with is the Fantastic Racism, although having it be against Dwarves is better than most of the other options (I don't have my Dwarf flavor completed yet by a long shot, and while I'll eventually get them reskinned into something I think is cool, for the moment I just find them dull, so only a few of my NPCs are dwarves and none of them are likely to be central to the immediate plot).

Unfortunately, the site I use for my "behind the scenes" work is down at the moment, and I can't proceed with any more character review until it's back up. Sorry, everyone who isn't Amara or BadgeAddict. I'll catch up as soon as I can.
My long-neglected blog.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:36 am

well...sorry..i guess, let me amend that to say, Zaks would feel a large amount of immediate distrust vs. Dwarves..essentially acting as if the entire dwarven race is at fault for his torture....heh..fantastic Racism....

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:15 pm

Okay, here's me attempting to review Quinton without my usual array of reference materials. I still won't be entirely comfortable until I do, but I can at least start the process.

* According to the Ghost Savage Progression template (which is the best version of how ghosts work as characters that I can find), ghost abilities divide into Major and Minor, and a ghost receives either three minors or one of each. So I don't think you can have both Corrupting Gaze and Malevolence.
Arch Lich Burns wrote:Languages
Common, Draconic, Undercommon, Elven, celestrial, dwarven, gnoll, goblin, halfling
Replace "gnoll" with "yeenagh" please. (I might eventually let the Kobold/Chicklet thing go due to sheer inertia, but nobody in this campaign is playing one of the hyena-men, so I'm going to insist on them being correctly named.)

Okay, that's all I can do until I have access to the other forum. But all I'll have to do is double-check skills, spells, and the powers of the intelligent item; assuming all the math checks out you should be good to go. Kast shouldn't take long to approve either since he's already been in my game, so that should just leave Synch and Quarg.
My long-neglected blog.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:35 pm

Working on reviewing Stormcrow now. Incidentally, did you intend for him to look like a typical Wood Elf, Synch? The picture you linked is more suggestive of a different subrace, which implies certain dramatic possibilities once you meet others of the kind (Kast, we'll assume, either didn't know of these others or simply had the discretion not to mention what he knew). If you agree, your mechanics won't change; you'd still be a Wood Elf, you'd just look like something else.
Synch wrote: STR = 08 + 9 PB + 1 Level + 2 Racial + 2 Magic + 0 Age = 22 (+6)
DEX = 08 + 5 PB + 1 Level + 2 Racial + 0 Magic + 0 Age = 16 (+3)
CON = 08 + 12 PB + 0 Level - 2 Racial + 0 Magic + 0 Age = 18 (+4)
INT = 08 + 2 PB + 0 Level - 2 Racial + 0 Magic + 0 Age = 08 (-1)
WIS = 08 + 2 PB + 0 Level + 0 Racial + 0 Magic + 0 Age = 10 (+0)
CHA = 08 + 2 PB + 0 Level + 0 Racial + 0 Magic + 0 Age = 10 (-0)
Perhaps you were unaware of the rule that points 15 and 16 in an attribute cost 2 PB each, and points 17 and 18 cost 3 each? Also, you can't buy up to a starting value of 20; the maximum is 18 before racial modifiers are applied. So you can't possibly have an 18 Constitution as a member of any race with -2 to that stat; the best you could do would be a final total of 16, and you'd pay 16 PB to get it that high.
XP : 36,000
Next Level At: 45,000
FTFY. :thumbsup:
BASE ATTACK BONUS
MELEE
Total: +15
Base: +9
STR: +6
Misc: --
Extra Attacks: One at -5.
As above.
WEAPON
Base: +/+
STR: +6/+6
Misc:
Total:+/+
Not sure what this was supposed to be.
My long-neglected blog.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:53 pm

And now for Quarg. (Kast won't require a review at all at the level I'm currently operating on, so once I've finished here we can probably start roleplaying directly. I'll try to hold off combat until I've completed my formal inquest, but narrative momentum can be established without having perfect game mechanics.)

Per the extremely stupid rules on first-level Duskblades, you know more 0th-level spells for the class than actually exist. For now, there's nothing I can do about that. Eventually, I may figure something out. I suspect it wouldn't break the game if I made, say, Rouse a 0th instead of a first, but you've probably noticed by now how hesitant I am to change such things.
Quarg wrote: At 4th level, you gain a +4 competence bonus on Diplomacy checks made to influence the attitude of dragons or creatures of the dragonblood subtype (see page 4). You are treated as a dragon for the purpose of determining whether frightful presence can affect you.
Well, that should come in handy for dealing with Zaks....

You're still showing eight feats, where I believe you should have seven (one human, two flaws, and four for nine levels).

I won't be able to straighten out any of your magic until I have my resources in place, so we'll assume they're okay for now, but I might ask for adjustments. I will at least look up Draconic Knowledge, which I'll agree is fine (and then some, as it gives me a vehicle for informing you of backstory). Otherwise, try to avoid using them during the intro scene.
► Show Spoiler
My long-neglected blog.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:06 pm

So, given that I chose the power 'Correspond', could it be assumed or possible that during my journeys i met and thus know a dragon or some other semi-powerful creature that i could annoy?...that way I can go around bragging to everyone "....Oh Yeah, well I know a Dragon..."

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:42 pm

The game intro thread is up, everyone! Hopefully you can at least begin to amuse yourselves, while I try and get things sorted out on my end.
BadgeAddict wrote:So, given that I chose the power 'Correspond', could it be assumed or possible that during my journeys i met and thus know a dragon or some other semi-powerful creature that i could annoy?...that way I can go around bragging to everyone "....Oh Yeah, well I know a Dragon..."
Not right now. Perhaps later.
My long-neglected blog.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:44 pm

I was using monster manual template, so unsure if I did it wrong. I still want to possess people so that I can have enemies punch themselves or to infiltrate.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:56 pm

My forum is finally back, now that my day has slipped through my fingers and left me with precious little time remaining.
Arch Lich Burns wrote:I was using monster manual template, so unsure if I did it wrong. I still want to possess people so that I can have enemies punch themselves or to infiltrate.
You didn't do it "wrong" per se, but the MM template is annoyingly nonspecific about exactly how many ghost abilities you're supposed to get, whereas the Savage Progression clears it up. So I treat that as being "the" rule on how ghosts should work, superceding what the MM says.
My long-neglected blog.