Anyone here play Call of Cthulhu?

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Re: Anyone here play Call of Cthulhu?

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:19 pm

Well, at least I won't have too hard of a time adjusting my knowledge base to the appropriate level, although it's going to be irritating not to have MRI as readily available. That and that certain classes of medication weren't available until late in the decade or in the early 2000's. And the internet was very early level at that point, no web pages until late. And Google wasn't around until 1998, so you wouldn't have that resource until then, if you'd even heard of it. No zip drive's. Floppy 6 inch or the fancy 3 inch disk drives. And a gigabyte of memory was unheard of outside of a university or big business or government server. Most home computers were glorified word processors with dot matrix printers. But they still had bulletin board type online forums. And they had Zork! :chuckle:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:37 am

Sweet! I'm going to need a dark room, because I don't think digital cameras (although they totes existed apparently) were very good quality at that point. At least not for professional purposes. So film plus dark room stuff.

We're basically going into the time of the early X-files or a bit sooner :) we may have mobile phones available, but they'll be big and crappy with terrible battery life and limited service.

Ok... My character:

Chloe Pruzinski, 32
Works as a freelance photojournalist, with personal interest in exploring different aspects of modern culture and what makes ordinary people do the things they do. She's done reasonably well for herself, winning a few minor awards over her career so far and keeps busy enough to live a comfortable lifestyle.

She has probably been hired to document the current project by whoever's leading it.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:26 am

Ethan Lowery Age: 29
Just recently became a police detective that he worked hard for many years, but is still unsure of his new status and promotion he constantly looks over a booklet he has, becoming almost a habit for him. He has not had a case yet, but he knows that will change sooner or later since murders happen all the time and is nervous going about his first case.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:25 pm

Dr. Christopher Fraser, Age: 31
Dr. Fraser just recently finished his residency in Internal Medicine. He's not completely settled on his choice of career, however. With a little fast talking he managed to secure a fellowship in medical forensics, a field he's found fascinating. He has ambitions of applying to Quantico and a position with the FBI after he's completed his fellowship. Currently, he's rotating through the local medical examiner's office to get some field experience. As a fellow, he makes enough to be comfortable, but he's not exactly rolling in money. He moonlights at the local ER to earn a little extra cash. It also sometimes allows him to get first crack at any interesting homicide cases that show up in the ER.

redfeather
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by redfeather » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:27 pm

thinkslogically wrote:All right, I guess I'll cast my vote for the 90s so I can stick with the photojournalist angle. I'd also prefer to play an employed female character, and not have it be incredibly unusual! I'm not overly invested in the era though, so happy to go with the consensus.
I am perfectly willing to run a version of the 1920s which goes easy on the male chauvinism which historically existed. Conversely, if we play in the 1990s, I might dial it up a little from what was true in reality. It will likely end up about the same in either case.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:25 pm

Well having it in the 20s means I can't play a photographer, so I'd rather have it in the 90s. I'm not super enthused about playing in an overly chauvinistic setting (I typically play to escape real life after all), but as long as it's not going to actively hamper my ability to play an effective character or cross the line into just being straight up offensive, I'm fine with it being a product of the times.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:56 pm

Instead of pnotographer you can be.....a sktch artist! Or something similar.

Tea
Is Heard Often

Post by Tea » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:21 pm

I'm sensing a police investigation theme here and am happy to have a friend or relative I was quite close to murdered if it makes it easier for us all to work together.

Alternately, if I give up my wealth, I can join the forensics team. My character would really like nothing better than to sort piles of dirt and find things--he could seek to do it by age, or by traipsing around the city on a rainy day to catalog all the colors of mud-stain by location of origin. (Although, I think he might have more the mentality of the overzealous naturalist than our dear Mr. Holmes).

redfeather
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by redfeather » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:32 am

It seems we have a quorum in favor of the 1990s (post-Internet but pre-Google). Start working on stats for Christopher, Ethan and Chloe. I have the beginnings of an idea for a plot, although it's honestly not my favorite story to tell, just the one that seems to best suit these characters. I'll have to think whether I can integrate it with the more expeditionary plan I had in mind.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:59 am

Now to just be clear, are we using the 5e or 7e rules?

redfeather
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by redfeather » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:52 am

Lurks_In_Shadows wrote:Now to just be clear, are we using the 5e or 7e rules?
What difference does it make?
EDIT - I don't mean to be snarky with that phrase; I mean it in the literal sense of "how does the distinction affect what you will do?".

Tea
Is Heard Often

Post by Tea » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:27 pm

I've had time to think and I would be comfortable using the 5e rules. The version our DM is most familiar with would be better should we try to pull of any really crazy stunts (hey, with these characters anything could happen.)

I swore I came across a nice page with the differences between versions, now I can't seem to replicate what I did to encounter the poor thing. Alas, I'm afraid I don't have any help.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:33 pm

I've never played at all, so it's up to redfeather. I don't want to buy a rulebook particularly though, so if there's a free quickstart guide to 5e then that's be a huge help.