Questions to the Game Forum

Quarg

Questions to the Game Forum

Post by Quarg » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:47 pm

So, with life being a bit more...well amiable to me wasting time...I thought I would ask those of you gaming forumites what, if anything you'd be interested in participating in.

Currently I have the Serene Court, a pathfinder game wallowing in the land of oblivion due to pending player actions( and with two+ players vanishing It needs additional players to continue).
The game really hasn't gotten started, at least on the main theme, but it is a character based RP and would take some time by anyone who wishes to join some time to create a new character.
It is designed around a gunpowder/magic world with the primary focus being on interfering in some local politics.

However, if that isn't your cup of tea. Or you don't want spend too much time building a character. Then a second idea I had was to use the Unbelievably Simple Role-play Rules to generate a somewhat freeform RP based on a group of goblins who get wrecked on a foreign shore (Sort of based on the Tempest) Essentially you'd be free to let your character try to do whatever he or she wanted within the framework of the islands own events...but considering how free the rules are it should be very much like free-form RP.

Then I could just organize a game of exploding kittens on goblins....which is a Russian roulette card game...

Or none of the above...but I'd like to see what people's interests are:

So please rank in order of interest:
  1. The Serene Court! Because I like elves and Orcs humans at war and I'm willing to spend hours developing a pathfinder character
  2. Huh? No I want easy open roll play and bad Shakespeare puns! Off we go to the Tempest!
  3. I want to play with kittens!...Alright Killer Kittens, but let the death purrs begin!
  4. It is 2015 Quarg, where in the hell is my Mr. Fusion(R) damn it! Go work on that!
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Synch
Game Master

Re: Questions to the Game Forum

Post by Synch » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:53 pm

I love the Serene Court because my character is amazeballs and badass, and this opening skirmish was quite exciting, so if anyone wants to jump into a Pathfinder game thats barely begun to help us out with numbers that would be awesome!

I'd also love to give open roleplay a go. I'd love a game where we go through a sort-of story without worrying too much about game mechanics and stats and stuff. So if you make one of those, I'll sign up.
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:18 am

So...this isn't in your list...But I would find it epic if someone put together a game involving Terry Pratchets DiscWorld Series.

The best thing is that you could use the Games mapping system instead of making up your own rooms...they come with their own descriptions and everything.

DiscWorld Mud Maps and other resources:
Discworld Mud Info
Ankh-Morpork

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:46 am

Having played as a member of the Federated Klatchian Coast for years...(all through grad school)
My discworld and yours are very, very different...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:03 am

Well...I mean, discworld is a very very large world.

I like the ridiculous-ness of magic in Discworld....in which the majority of spells are relatively useless.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:45 am

You know, I miss the really short and straightforward sprite-based games we used to have. There are a few large-scale, RP-heavy games now which is awesome and they're great fun, but it would be nice to see more short games too (like the old Last Ditch Dungeon, or Pit of Death). I know we've got the GAL, but I can't play in those :)

So I know that's not on your list either, and it might not be your style anyway, but that's the sort of game I'd like to play :)

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:58 am

You know, it's funny you say that thinks, because I remember back in the day, select people complaining about a lacking in RP-heavy games.

Now, we've got the reverse.

Honestly, If I was able to build a big enough world, I would totally make a non-GAL game. My fear/problem is, I feel as though I have to create an entire world, beginning and end before i could start. Whereas LSN admitted at one point that certain games he made were somewhat from the seat of his pants.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:02 am

My problem with graphic heavy games (like the sprite games) is that I'm lacking somewhat in computer graphics capability....

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:52 am

Yeah, I get that and it's totally fair enough :) I guess I just miss the more casual (but still RPG-type) games because they didn't require quite so much player effort but whatever. If you make the game you want to make, you're more likely to see it through to the end, right?

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:32 am

If I want to play a game that requires no effort or thinking I'll just go on Kongregate and play a flash game. I think forum games are in a weird spot. It seems at least to me that the more complex the world is the faster it fizzles and dies. I think its because anytime you have that complex of a world, that takes effort to remember what's going on, what your character can do, etc. A lot more effort than people want to put into something that only updates once or maybe twice a week at best. For this reason I think DND and pathfinder games would have to be rather epic just to be successful. I'd try a DND game if the setting appealed to me but I think I wouldn't actually hold out too much hope. That said: It needs to be complex enough that its actually interesting. I think the best aspect of forum games is that players and GMs have room to be creative within the game itself. If you make something that takes advantage of that, while in that weird sweet spot of complexity, I think you'll be successful.
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:18 am

I don't think a game has to have an epic scope to be fun or creative, because having a real person DMing your games means you can have a lot more freedom than in many computer / console games. They're just different things, but I would argue that it's more about HOW you play than the scale of the game you're playing.

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:49 pm

I was saying epic as in well done not scope. Something that really draws me in, in order for to keep track of the large amount of stats that you'd have in a DND or pathfinder. It easy to stay immersed when you've been playing all night in RL. After 20 minutes you know most of the stats, bonuses, etc off the top of your head. But a turn per week, means I'm having to refresh my mind every turn of whats on my character sheet. Which is why I think in forum setting having the long complex character sheets is a risky as you really need to draw your players in.
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:08 pm

Thinks...just for you, I am going to make a pixel based game for everyone...

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:10 pm

Yay! And chuck, I understand now and totally agree :)

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:04 pm

There you go, Up and ready for players in recruitment.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:13 am

Well I got...pawned it looks like...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:42 am

??

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:47 am

*Laughs*
You gave them what they wanted...a simple sprite game...with zilch interest in any of my ideas...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:21 pm

but quarg...you haven't met the killer kitten yet....it's coming for you..

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:38 pm

Hey I have the Trade Mark on the Klatchian Kitten....and there is nothing more deadly than that....

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:13 pm

Quarg wrote:*Laughs*
You gave them what they wanted...a simple sprite game...with zilch interest in any of my ideas...
What am I, chopped liver?! :lol:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:27 pm

Nope...you and spider are unfortunately *biased* ;)

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:15 am

Yeah Badge, you're supposed to join Serene Court, not use this as a launching platform for your game! :P
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:37 am

Well, I mean...now that I've done all of the initial work to launch ...wait for it... THE MAGIC PORTAL....dun dun dun...

I assume that this is 3.5e?

I'll work on it tonight
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:44 am

BadgeAddict wrote:But, if you want to make it for me, I will accept it and play the asshole cleric well..

My wife is out of town tonight on a business trip, so perhaps when i get home I can build a 3.5e sheet.
It's in Pathfinder, I'm willing to take a crack at building a character sheet for an asshole cleric. I'll see what I come up with and post it here for you to look over.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler