ADblockers

For creating groups, suggesting features, reporting problems and the like.
nitehawke
Remains Silent

ADblockers

Post by nitehawke » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:56 am

I joined the forum specifically to comment about one of Thunt's tweets about adblockers.

I employ an adblocker for one reason only. One of my previous computers was infected with a SERIOUS piece of malware because it was imbedded in an ad on a site I believed to be trustworthy. I ended up having to format the hard drive and reinstall the operating system to get rid of it, as there was no other way of removing it. No matter how trustworthy a site may be, and no matter how trustworthy the ad server may be, there will always exist unscrupulous 'advertisers' who will slip something through the cracks and infect some unsuspecting web surfer with a piece of nefarious software before the malware is caught. Since I began using an adblocker, the malware I've had to remove from my computer has diminished to the point that I no longer have to keep a malware scanner (other than my anti-virus) active at all times.
I am evil, wicked, mean, nasty, sick, twisted, proverted, rude, crude, and socially unacceptable.
And those ARE my good points

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Re: ADblockers

Post by Krulle » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:53 pm

Well, there are tools as "no-script", whichallow you to see ads, but whichstop all scripts from being run....
A lot f ads won't run with noscript, but some are being shown. That may allow persons like Thunt and other freelancers to live off their great work.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards