"Regular" non-Goblins related topics?

For creating groups, suggesting features, reporting problems and the like.
Iron Sun 254
Mumbles Incoherently

"Regular" non-Goblins related topics?

Post by Iron Sun 254 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:46 pm

So, as a new person here, perusing the sections of the forum, I noticed three major sections, Goblins, Games and Miscellaneous. The first two are obvious, and under Miscellaneous, I see there's a spot for discussing Controversial topics, a place for "private" topics (Hidden), a Translation project, Contests, and "Forum Stuff" which seems to be administrative topics (such as this one) but there isn't doesn't seem to be anywhere to talk about something that one might want to share with other forum members, but isn't something controversial or private. If the goal is not to have such vanilla topics, so be it, but if not where should such topics go?

For example: Comet ISON is approaching the Sun and may, if things go right, be an incredible sight to see in the night sky. Some estimates say it might be so bright it's visible during the day time. This might be something to talk about, but it's certainly not controversial (unless you think it's going to lead to the end of the world) and there's no reason such a topic should be hidden.

Thoughts?
There's a fine line between genius and insanity....that's where I live, baby!

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Re: "Regular" non-Goblins related topics?

Post by gamecreator » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:52 pm

Usually they go to Community. Also "general talk" thread is in Games.

Yes, this is the least obvious forum structure you will ever see.

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

Post by SeeAMoose » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:53 pm

Yeah... I suggested taking the Random Chatter thread out of games and people... well let's say the idea didn't go over well. Generally though Communities are your best bet.
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:38 pm

Better change description of Communities to something more obvious.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:04 am

Why? In communities you can find threads for each group of interests.
So, if astronomy/comet watching is your thing, and you can't find a community of those there yet, create one.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:30 am

It says "For anything related to the Goblin's Community beyond the forum."
I can only interpret it as "For discussion of events that take place IRL and have people from forum as participants." i.e. conventions. Or so I thought whenever I read that description. When I joined forum and figured out purpose of Communities, that knowledge began to distort my understanding of description, so now I can probably see right interpretation with sufficient searching for deep meaning.