The Destiny of the Stonetear Clan (The End)

For all games that are now over.
ThroughTheWell

Re: The Destiny of the Stonetear Clan (The End)

Post by ThroughTheWell » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:53 pm

If any player failed to get their named destiny, what would they have had to do to get it? (Or am I confusing games.)
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

EvilCoatrack
Game Master
UStream Username: EvilCoatrack

Post by EvilCoatrack » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:01 pm

ThroughTheWell wrote:Awesome game and finale!

Which players went with which characters again? And what were end game char stats, before the finale?
► Show Spoiler
Maiandra wrote:Something I had been wondering all the time I was reading: down in the well, where Crimson finally got the tantalising sword, the right part of the wall was straight. Was there anything hidden there?
I'm afraid not - sometimes a wall was just a wall!

@Arles: That's awesome! Can't wait to see it finished!

Extra Stuff:

A bunch of maps, which were basically rough drafts of the dungeon, saved at various points throughout the game:
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Massive "workspace" image I used to move stuff around and make new art in MS Paint:
► Show Spoiler

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:38 am

YAY... WORKSPACE!

THANKS to what ever convinced you to come to the inter-webs the first time :D
-Best regards LAYF

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:08 am

This is SO AWESOME! :thumbsup: :Dance: :clap: :woot :confetti: :mrgreen: :love: :cheer:

Thank you so much for wrapping that up, ECR. It -was- well worth the wait.

And @Arles: That looks great. I'm really looking forward to you finishing it. I love that she has a ring on her finger. :D But she got a scar somewhere in the dungeon. Over her left eye I think.
► Show Spoiler
Would you like to include that, maybe?

Questions:
[*] the ladder under the floating island had two containers for the liquid that Crimson found. One activated the teleporter pad, obviously. What would the other one have done?
[*] What were the demons trying to do when they tapped the energy of the dice god? Bring doom to the realm, ok, I got that, but by doing what exactly?
[*] the chains in the chamber with the big green golem, did they have any special meaning or function?
[*] I'm assuming the answer is 'no', but I'm still gonna ask. Would there have been any way to be diplomatic with the demons (had we not sent out 'expert' in making first contact - and smashing furniture - Crimson :lol: ) ?
[*] Was there any weapon proficiency that we didn't get? If so, what would they have done? (Tends still hadn't picked her second specialization I think. So I'm very curious. ^^)
[*] How many more orcs/demons were there to kill in order to get the 5 keys?
[*] Would there have been any way to keep the constructs from attacking us when we finally made our way to the dice god?
[*] Also, how many more turns could we have taken to stop the demon spellcaster (in other words how close came we to totally blowing it, failing to save the world) ?
[*] Since you didn't mention it in the summary: Did we take the bodies of Wields and Thinks (Acts' sacrifice didn't leave a body, right?) with us to the floating island (I think I remember writing something like that in the note you asked me to send you in what Tends would be doing) or did they stay in the dungeon and possibly got reanimated and forced to fight their clan mates some other day? :(
[*]Did we miss out on anything major that you haven't filled us in on yet? (You already told us about the 5 lock door with the demons, the secret corridor under the revolving ladder - would we have been able to come back from there, btw?; and two weapons we never found)

ThroughTheWell wrote:If any player failed to get their named destiny, what would they have had to do to get it? (Or am I confusing games.)
There weren't ANY name connected destinies in this game. I think ECR may have even told us so explicitly at some point.

► Show Spoiler
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

EvilCoatrack
Game Master

Post by EvilCoatrack » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:06 am

1. The teleporter could work both ways. If Crimson had dumped all of the liquid into the other side, the teleporter would have only taken people TO the island. If he divided the liquid between the two sides, it could have sent things both ways. Each teleport used up a little of the fuel, but multiple characters could have been transported for the cost of one teleport.

2. The demons, and specifically the one who also appeared in EFB, were trying to drain all of the god's essence into the staff they were using. This would have given them a very potent portable power source to do all sorts of bad things with. This would have involved the floating castle island as some sort of mobile superweapon in the next game. The players could have defeated the demons without the big guy fleeing - but the bomb spooked him. If they did so, they would have got the staff, which was already partially charged.

3. The chains in the golem room were used to move heavy metal pieces during the golem's construction. They didn't have any special significance aside from giving you guys a ladder to climb to the ledge.

4. You could have straight up joined the demons. Nothing about the game required you to be Good, and most goblins are Evil in D&D. They would have rewarded you for helping to clear the dungeon's defenses, and the Stonetears could have become part-demon (like Complains of Names). That could have been the clan's "destiny."

5. Did anyone go the Dagger route? I think it was one of the most powerful, offensively, but I don't have the sheet in front of me now.

6. Lots of orcs and demons were left to kill, at least a half dozen rooms' worth if you wanted to go that route. Around Turn 200 was when the demons finished their tunnel and war broke out, so you had to commit to that side before then to pursue that course.

7. If you cleared out the demons and unlocked that big door, the Builder would have been free and would have bypassed all defenses for you before asking you to kill the D20.

8. Your victory itself wasn't really complete - the demon got away with a partially a charged staff before you stopped him. But you had about 5 turns from when you first entered that room to interrupt his ritual before he drained all the power.

9. Wields and Thinks were buried beneath their statues on the island.

10. Nothing else major was missed. I never finished the demons' side of the dungeon because you all went the other way, but there was at least one weapon to grab there - the magic dagger that the demon girl used. It reduced the cooldown on all abilities by one turn. The chamber with the candle was a one-way trip for whoever was in the room when the light was blown out. If someone managed to get trapped in that room after, they would have needed the armband or a rope to get back out.

Typing thus from my tablet, that's about all I can think of for now.

Arles
Game Master
UStream Username: sir_arles

Post by Arles » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:05 pm

EvilCoatrack wrote:@Arles: That's awesome! Can't wait to see it finished!
Thanks, me too! It's gonna take a while, though.
GathersIngredients wrote:And @Arles: That looks great. I'm really looking forward to you finishing it. I love that she has a ring on her finger. :D But she got a scar somewhere in the dungeon. Over her left eye I think.
► Show Spoiler
Would you like to include that, maybe?
Glad you liked it! I'll include the scar, no prob.

ThinkingOfNames
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by ThinkingOfNames » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:17 pm

EvilCoatrack wrote:[...]
Saves-The-Realm was finally free to pursue a peaceful life. She primarily hunted game to feed her clan, and was quite good at using her throwing weapons to take down fast or flying prey. She also (accidentally) discovered the joys of cooked meat, when her flamethrower bracer went off while she was carrying home a wild bird for dinner. The Stonetear goblins, who had been accustomed to eating their meat raw since time immemorial, promptly decided that this was her greatest accomplishment ever.

[...]
Cooked meat! Well that's it: my name is going down in goblin history. No one will ever top that.

Many thanks for the many months of great entertainment, ECR. Took me a while to find the time to go over all this (Life as been busy lately.), but I sure am glad I did (and that you're still alive and kicking and took some time out of your busy schedule to give us a finale.). Imma gonna think my poking helped, please don't talk me out of it.

Can't agree with you more: the "crash" was quite the bummer even tho there wasn't much left for us to do except leave I really wanted to try fighting that Wyvern... Aww well, maybe next time. ;P
ThroughTheWell wrote:Awesome game and finale!

Which players went with which characters again? And what were end game char stats, before the finale?
I was Saves the Realm, the only goblin in the party whose name actually reflected her destiny (tho it had been already accomplished before I got into the game. The privilege of having played a long dead hero?).
Arles wrote:Thanks for the hard work, ECR. It was a hell or a ride.

Here's a preview of a little something I'm working on to celebrate TDotSC ending:

Crimson and Tends
[Insert Awesome here.]
Looking good, keep it coming!

If you have time and inspiration feel free to make one of Saves the Realm and fond. :paranoia:
EvilCoatrack wrote:1. The teleporter could work both ways. If Crimson had dumped all of the liquid into the other side, the teleporter would have only taken people TO the island. If he divided the liquid between the two sides, it could have sent things both ways. Each teleport used up a little of the fuel, but multiple characters could have been transported for the cost of one teleport.[...]
Dammit Crimson! Acts been stuck over there forever and it's all your fault! ;)

4. You could have straight up joined the demons. Nothing about the game required you to be Good, and most goblins are Evil in D&D. They would have rewarded you for helping to clear the dungeon's defenses, and the Stonetears could have become part-demon (like Complains of Names). That could have been the clan's "destiny."[...]
Joining with the demons? I had died fighting off the summoning of one! I wouldn't have tolerated such inappropriate acts from Stonetears: It would have been the spanking of the century.
5. Did anyone go the Dagger route? I think it was one of the most powerful, offensively, but I don't have the sheet in front of me now.[...]
I had Cyanai & Dagger/Knife. I had taken Dagger/Knife as my second mostly because i had been using one in my off hand since forever, but also because it seemed the most likely to be the specialty that would be stealth, dual wielding or throwing (well excepted Cyanai, but i already had that one.) related out of all melee weapons.

8. Your victory itself wasn't really complete - the demon got away with a partially a charged staff before you stopped him. But you had about 5 turns from when you first entered that room to interrupt his ritual before he drained all the power.
[...]
That's rather sad that we failed to achieve complete success... Oh well, it leaves some doors open if you ever decide to come back to it.

10. Nothing else major was missed. I never finished the demons' side of the dungeon because you all went the other way, but there was at least one weapon to grab there - the magic dagger that the demon girl used. It reduced the cooldown on all abilities by one turn. [...]
Well that answer that question. I guess it probably dealt 1 or 2 point more damage than a regular dagger as well?

You wouldn't happen to have the stats/picture of the unknown keyholders somewhere?
The one thing I regret from that game is to not have managed to exterminate the demons (and loot the dagger), what's everyone's biggest regret (other than forums crash)? Especially you ECR: what did you regret us doing/not doing most?

Welp, I'm off to game. see ya later.

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:45 pm

Thank you, ECR, for this wonderful game, along with the previous ones!

The dedication, detail and depth your games have had are setting quite a high niveau in forum games. It has been a privilege being able to play in them, and I hope you enjoyed the players and their interactions just as much as we did your GMing. It is sad to read that you plan on leaving this part of the forum world, but I hope you will eventually make a sequel - or a totally different game, whichever you feel like doing. In any case, words probably cannot describe the gratitude I (and maybe others too) feel, so please consider having an imagibary stone statue of you in the games subforum, depicting your deeds in minuscule carved letters on the side. :)
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

EvilCoatrack
Game Master

Post by EvilCoatrack » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:43 am

You're both very welcome, and thanks for being great players.

I didn't have stats for most of the enemies written down in game - I mostly used base stats and then added extra points (if the mob was a veteran of combat, for example) and gear points as needed. The other keyholders would have been additional demons and/or fel orcs. One was going to be the demons' blacksmith (the forge shows up in the maps posted above). Since you guys never went down that way, I didn't get artwork or stats really drawn up yet. I tended to create the deeper encounters just before you all discovered them for the first time, in order to size up the difficulty with the players' current stats. After about Turn 100, every new room you guys entered was in flux until just before it was first discovered.

I don't really have any regrets about player choices, overall. One facepalm moment that does spring to mind was when Crimson just dumped all the teleport fuel into the island-side tank. I was like "you don't have to dump the whole thing! This isn't a limited-command game!" just then. I'd planned on using the purple-colored designs on either side of the ladder as a fuel gauge - if you poured a little into one, it would partially light up at the bottom and would represent how many teleports were available from that location (left side represented the valley, right side represented the island). But nope! It all went into the island's side and the teleporter was one-way. Had you guys been able to unlock the Builder, she could have brewed more if you promised to kill the D20.

Attached is the full text of my word doc for this game. Keep in mind that a lot of notes were for myself and may be incomplete or will have only made sense to me:
► Show Spoiler
Oh, one last secret! Remember that candle that you guys found in one of the first couple rooms? Had you ever made it down to the hidden candle and lit your candle with that flame some crazy teleport stuff could have happened.

If someone was holding on to the extra lit candle in the room when the black one was blown out, everyone in the room would have been teleported to The Descent with that other candle lit (which was carrying the same type of flame). There, they may have found Noctis and Thrown-Into-Dark-Cells from EFB, and could have brought one or both of them back to DotSC's dungeon by blowing out the candle when those characters were in the same room. I would have contacted their players from EFB to see if they wanted to regain control of those characters, and if not would have played them as NPC allies to the party.

If someone lit the carried candle (You couldn't pick the black one up) from the black one and then managed to take it to another room before blowing it out, it would have teleported every sentient being in the room to The Descent. This could have included demons, golems, the sphinx, the wyvern, etc. There would not have been a return trip available, though others could join their party members in The Descent by going to the black candle room and extinguishing it there.

Side note: DotSC almost featured a Good-aligned group of paladins as antagonists, also trying to access the D20. I brought the demon character from EFB back instead because I intended to continue a demonic theme with the floating castle island.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:19 am

That's pretty awesome :) Thanks for all the info!

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:58 am

Heh, Thrown-into-dark-cells was also my character before I resigned him to Warlock. Would have been interesting to see the character back. Also, I miss Warlock. :(

ECR, in hindsight, were we wasting too much time doing silly stuff instead of being "useful"? I mean, from the plot it seems to me that we really had no chance to do everything. We either killed off all the demons on the left (to get the keys), or on the right after dungeoning (like we did), but the time limit seemed to be a bit harsh to waltz around until the end of time.
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

EvilCoatrack
Game Master

Post by EvilCoatrack » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:55 pm

If you had gotten to the room where the demons' tunnel ended (one room left of the D20) before turn 200 (I think, might have been 225), you could have stopped the demons' side of the dungeon from being sealed by the golems. This would have required fighting the golem defenders there first and then fighting the demons as they poured through the tunnel. It would have been a tougher fight than the one you ended with, but the staff wouldn't have been even partially charged.

Alternately, if you fought through the demons' side of the dungeon, you could have ended their threat before the tunnel reached its goal. You would probably have nabbed all five keys on the way, and could have unlocked the Builder, who could disable defenses for you in the other part of the dungeon.

Or, as I mentioned above, you could have joined the demons and they would have sent you through the tunnel the destroy the golems in exchange for powerful rewards for the clan.

These were just planned ideas, and were completely malleable depending on specific player actions. Smaller details could change a lot. For example: Acts never had to sacrifice his body to control the golem, but you would have needed another way through the wall to the D20 (either the Builder's help or the bomb) to kill it. However, giving Acts control of the golem gave you an exceptionally powerful ally in the fights leading up to the end. And it ended up making him basically immortal, so there's that.

ThinkingOfNames
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by ThinkingOfNames » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:46 pm

Oh yeah those enchanting scrolls: did you have any planned abilities for the different results or you just wing it on the spot when we finally went and used them?

Trench
Remains Silent

Post by Trench » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:23 pm

It's been said, but thanks again ECR. I read a bunch and actually getting to play in one of these games was worth it.

Acts being the immortal lonely sentinel works for me. Sadly, his love for Fond goes unrequited, but he figured that bit out pretty early....

saithed
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by saithed » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:45 am

just want to say thanks ECR it was a great game it was a joy to follow

(yes I am still around lurking)

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:07 am

Any progress on that pic yet, Arles? 8)
► Show Spoiler

Arles
Game Master

Post by Arles » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:24 pm

Sorry for the delay.

The drawing is far from finished, sadly. I'll keep you posted.
► Show Spoiler

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:03 am

Thanks for the update. Looks absolutely fabulous. Especially Tends' hair. :love:
And no need to be sorry. =) It's not like you have any duty to finish this in any given amount of time, or ever.
But I hope you can understand my eagerness to see it completed. Please don't feel rushed, though. :thumbsup:
► Show Spoiler

Arles
Game Master

Post by Arles » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:20 pm

I'm alive.

Here's more progress. Sorry it's not done yet.

Arles
Game Master

Post by Arles » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:40 am

Finally, I have finished it.

I hope you guys like it. :)

Crimson and Tends
Last edited by Arles on Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:46 am

It is a really cool pic.. As always from you...
How have time been treating you?
-Best regards LAYF

Arles
Game Master

Post by Arles » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:53 am

LooksAtYouFunny wrote:It is a really cool pic.. As always from you...
How have time been treating you?
Thanks!

Meh, time's been scarce, sadly. Two jobs and full time kendo practice, plus getting married this year is leaving me with little to no spare time. But life's good, can't complain :)

I'll do my best to take care of Memories and Fugitives in the future. I had so many ideas... I don't want everything to go to waste.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:58 am

Sounds like a lot... But! Two jobs is far better than none...

Dont break your back over anything, we are just glad to hear you are alive and well once in a while... Also, congratulations on the binding together! When is it to be?
-Best regards LAYF

Arles
Game Master

Post by Arles » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:42 pm

It's going to b-- OH SH--!!! Dammit! I forgot Crimson's left leg!

This is a disaster! >_____________<

Well, I'll post it again when it's fixed, I guess.