Rating wars II: Electric boogaloo (Finals)

For all games that are now over.
PSychotic
Of Few Words

Re: Rating wars II: Electric boogaloo

Post by PSychotic » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:36 pm

I am in and currently working on a Michael Weston-esque character.

vidius
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by vidius » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:35 pm

Fear, you think you know fear? Maybe you know how to be nervous, to be trepid. But fear? You donÔÇÖt know fear, but you will. Fear is the sound of the Rasping Suit.

Character sheet
Name: The Rasping Suit
Nicknames/aliases: The Iron Suit, The Metal Monster, The Harbinger of Fear, Knightmare
Eye color: All of The Rasping Suits features are hidden behind the suit of armour that incloses it.
Hair color: All The Rasping Suits features are hidden behind the suit of armour that incloses it.
Race: Armour
Appearance: dark grey sabatons, ending in long menacing knife like points cover the feet. Dark grey greaves and a dark grey cuisse, decorated with intricate engravings of suffering creatures, adorn the legs. A dark grey breast plate rests over a hauberk of dark bronze. Dark grey pauldronÔÇÖs cover the shoulders, ending in dark grey spaulders and vambrace, all engraved with similar images of horror to the leg armour. Lobster gauntlets of dark grey metal cover the hands. Grasped between them is a wicked two handed sword, Paranoia. The blade is dark as midnight, the edge as sharp as sin. In contrast to the oily depths of the blade, the swords cross guard hilt is made of dragon bone, bleached white by an eternity of exposure.
Carved up the width of the blade are words, written in a language long since lost.
Sitting atop the knightmare suit of armour is a dark grey great helm, adorning the top of which are three demonic horns. From within the consuming darkness that comprises the depths of the helm something looks out; something dark, cold, and inhuman. Something that doesnÔÇÖt just see you, but sees through you, sees into you.
Something which doesnÔÇÖt just know you, but understands you.
Something which doesnÔÇÖt just hate you, but abhors you.
Something which wants you dead.

Weapons/powers:
Paranoia: The Rasping Suits great sword is the physical manifestation of the worldÔÇÖs nightmares. The blade is dark like ink, sharp like wit, and merciful like a hungry wolf.
Walking terror: where the Rasping Suit goes, darkness seems to follow, darkness that induces terror, darkness that cuts to the core, darkness which lets the Rasping Suit see the greatest fears of all the creatures of the world.
The Rasping Suit: The Rasping Suit is essentially a walking suit of full plate mail armour; however despite the fact that The Rasping Suit is made entirely of armour, it is capable of moving fast, and striking hard. Centuries of practice have let it develop and refine incredible martial prowess.

Biography:
Story the first:- It Begins at the End.
► Show Spoiler

Reason for wanting the Stone: To end this existence.
Last edited by vidius on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Winter is coming"

PSychotic
Of Few Words

Post by PSychotic » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:39 pm

Name: Donovan
Nicknames/aliases: Lots, probably. He doesn't really heed them any mind though.
Eye color: Black
Hair color: Brown
Race: Human
Appearance: He has short hair, military cut. Black sunglasses to block his animated and quite telling eyes. Besides that, Donovan also cycles through a variety of clothes that usually mask his physique and strength.
Weapons/powers: Donovan is a decent hand to hand fighter with a heavy reliance on mind games. The man's got no magical abilities or weapon training whatsoever. When in combat, he often fights dirty, utilizes a lot of traps and tricks, and tries to destablize enemies by pushing their buttons however he can.
Biography: Five years ago, the Domeer and Almari kingdoms were at war. They had been at war for three generations and both sides of royalty felt that it was time to end the bloodshed. So, a peace treaty was held on neutral ground and the two leaders met to hash out the terms. The two sides weren't seeing eye-to-eye however, and couldn't agree about a thing. It quickly degenerated into what surely would be open combat when a man quite literally dropped from the ceiling and then proceeded to murder both the Domeer king and Almari queen. And then, quick as he appeared, he disappeared.
So goes the tale of Donovan's first job, which the amoral mercenary always claims he wasn't paid for and just did to get his name out in the open. Since then Donovan has gained a reputation as the go-to guy if you have the money for him and don't mind a big mouth. He's done it all by now: murder, kidnapping, arson, blackmail, theft, protection; you name it, Donovan has had a client hire him to do it. And he had a steady stream of them too. Until last year, when he announced that the 'Old Asshole' was going to retire for a while and try his hand at finding the legendary Stone. Since then, Donovan has been traveling and searching. He hasn't found the Stone yet, but he will.
Personality: Donovan's true persona is very calm and snarky. He like to take pot shots at people, and only gets mad when his plans and tricks and provocations do nothing. Often, Donovan will put on a face, a false personality, to trick people and gain information. Sometimes he does it when fighting.
Reason for wanting the Stone: Many a reason has been given by Donovan, but which if any of them is true is almost impossible to tell.
Last edited by PSychotic on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:13 am

Added both of you. :)

Also, if anyone would be interested, I'm still looking for at least one more judge. If your interested just send me a PM, and thank you. :)

Ramsa

Post by Ramsa » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:36 pm

Well, here goes nothing I guess. I'll change him if people say he is too unoriginal.

Name: Konur Durai

Nicknames/aliases: The peasant king, Warrior from hell

Eye color: His left eye is blue with a scar over it his right eye is glass with a white iris

Hair color: Dark brown strait hair that ends just above his waist

Race: Human

Appearance: He is 5' 7" with ochre skin color (between bronze and brown) heavy build, very heavily scarred

Weapons/powers: He carries a hand a half sword, is inhabited by 3 lesser demons (giving him added strength and some magical ability if it amuses them)
► Show Spoiler
@PSychotic I hope you don't mind me using your cities/conveniently murdered royal families in my background I thought it would help the continuity of the world if not every character had their own entirely different kingdoms/wars/etc. (I mean seriously how big is this world?)

Do you guys want more backstory? (how he became a general, where he got his eyepiece, observe the battles leading to his rule, anything else that comes to mind) critique away.
There are good days and there are bad days, and this is one of them.

vidius
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by vidius » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:14 pm

Ramsa wrote:
Do you guys want more backstory? (how he became a general, where he got his eyepiece, observe the battles leading to his rule, anything else that comes to mind) critique away.
Put in more fluff if you think it is relevant to what your opponents/judges will need to know about the character. The better everyone else understands your character, the better he will be able to be understood as a character.

only critic, this is a writing competition, not a formatting competition. Give the three difference voices in his head different lines for there dialogue instead of color coding them (you can still color code if you want, but make sure each new voice starts with a new line, it will actually help to make it feel more disjointed and hectic in my opinion.)
"Winter is coming"

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:34 am

Well, we will start with an practice round first. This will get all the players some potentially critical advice from the judges,as well as giving all the players an idea of their opponents writing style. :)

That being said, yes, it's generally unadvised to use color codes. It is hardly you'd find something in a book , after all.

Ramsa

Post by Ramsa » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:14 am

The reason I used colors is because I saw it in the keenspot game on at least 1 occasion for dialogue between characters, I don't think anyone was as demented as my character.

PSychotic
Of Few Words

Post by PSychotic » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:05 pm

Ramsa wrote:@PSychotic I hope you don't mind me using your cities/conveniently murdered royal families in my background I thought it would help the continuity of the world if not every character had their own entirely different kingdoms/wars/etc. (I mean seriously how big is this world?)
No, I don't mind! In fact, I love the sense of inner-connectedness it gives to the characters. There's a link now between Konur and Donovan now, even if neither of them know it. And I love that, it's awesome and.... it's just awesome!

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:11 pm

Psychotic, I love your response to Ramsa!
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

PSychotic
Of Few Words

Post by PSychotic » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:54 pm

Thanks! And I... love your response to my response? Errr... yeah, that seem right.

vidius
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by vidius » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:07 am

PSychotic wrote:Thanks! And I... love your response to my response? Errr... yeah, that seem right.
I love your new DP.

RIP Scarghh.
"Winter is coming"

PSychotic
Of Few Words

Re: Rating wars II: Electric boogaloo (signups closing 14/3)

Post by PSychotic » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:44 pm

Thanks vid! It's an old picture I had, way back when EFB was running and before I had something to scan it. I remember drawing a Kritanta picture too, and thinking it was real sloppy. If I see it, I'll probably upload it.

vidius
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by vidius » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:06 am

PSychotic wrote:Thanks vid! It's an old picture I had, way back when EFB was running and before I had something to scan it. I remember drawing a Kritanta picture too, and thinking it was real sloppy. If I see it, I'll probably upload it.
That would make me happier then you would ever know :3

If i had the talent I would run a game with Krit and Scarghh coming back from the dead, resurrected by a necromancer, as undead blades for higher.
"Winter is coming"

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:08 am

I'm still working on my character, in case anyone's wondering.

I'm considering scrapping my first idea, because he's ended up being a bit too similar to Si in terms of attitude and tactics - very direct, smashy-smashy, beat-them-til-they-can't-move stuff. Less potential for emotional growth too, though he does have some potential for interesting interactions thrown in there.
Plus, he's a bit OP too :P

Fortunately, I've got a backup lined up who's different, and may even be a bit more interesting to write. He's much more of an indirect fighter, who can't really do the straight combat thing very well. He has......other ways of taking down his foes.
Still OP, but in a different way to the other two :P

Anyway, ETA = no idea. Should have a finished character up by the deadline though, regardless of which I end up choosing.

AccursedBiscuit
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by AccursedBiscuit » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:52 pm

Name: Tibiscu
Nicknames/aliases: None
Eye color: Soft white glow
Hair: Short, messy, light brown
Race: Human, but seems to have a touch of something supernatural
Appearance: About 5' 10", clean shaven, lightly tanned skin. He has small scars from previous battles, mainly on his hands, forearms, feet and shins. Wears a magically enhanced leather vest, the enchantment making it resilient to the elements, yet flexible as silk. He has a belt with pouches of various sizes containing mainly healing salves, and other useful compounds. The pants he wears are of pretty poor quality, just slightly better than burlap. The pants are burned away up to about an inch under the knees, as if he'd been standing in a fire. He is barefoot. He also wears a faded and worn grey headband. The most prominent of his features, besides his eyes, are the tattoos that wrap around his lower forearms and lower calves. There are three rings around each, which seem to resemble different elements. The rings closest to his wrists and ankles involve a lot of swirling and flickering, much like a fire. The tattoos above those are long and spiky, like icicles. The final rings look like electricity running in circles around his forearm, very jagged and taking sharp turns, following no particular pattern.
Weapons/powers: Tibiscu doesn't use weapons, and focuses primarily on hand-to-hand combat. He is a master of disarming techniques, and disrupting his opponents chakra points. He can pinpoint certain points on his opponent's bodies and when struck with precise pressure, can render that limb or organ useless and nonfunctioning. When the need arises, the aforementioned tattoos glow, giving him elemental abilities along with altering his fighting style slightly. When the fire rings glow, his hands and feet begin to heat up, almost to the point of catching on fire, and he begins to use rising attacks (uppercuts, rising kicks, etc.). When the ice rings glow, His hands and feet freeze solid, giving them greater impact. He can also freeze the moisture (if any) to create an ice coating on his extremities. His moves become more cool, calculated and punctuated. When the lightning ring activates, he can throw lightning bolts and electrocute his enemies. His moves become more sporadic and unpredictable, striking almost as fast as lightning itself.
Biography: Tibiscu was once a vagrant, stealing from anyone who had something he wanted from the age he started walking. He stole from anyone and everyone, but never carried a weapon, it only took up space. He had a natural talent for using his body as a weapon, which he never hesitated to use if he couldn't simply outrun whomever he'd stolen from. He'd never lost a barfight, and quickly learned to disarm anyone better equipped than he, to better the playing field in his favor. When he was in his mid-20's word on the street went around that there was a very powerful stone that could allow the wielder to do just about anything he or she desired. He soon discovered a lead that directed him to a nearby temple of flame monks. They had apparently been researching the stone, meditating on its secrets. So, Tibiscu set off the steal whatever information they had uncovered. But he had severely underestimated the monks. Their unarmed skills far surpassed his own, as they practiced constantly. Tibiscu managed to mortally wound one, however. The monk was Giratsu, a high ranking monk in the order. Giratsu admired Tibiscu's natural talent and ferocity, and desired to help Tibiscu. The monks then practiced an ancient art of soul mending, taking both Giratsu and Tibiscu's fading souls and merged them. Giratsu's soul filled in the "gaps" in Tibiscu's soul and morality. Tibiscu was suddenly filled with a lifetime's worth of experience and knowledge. Their souls were both whole enough that there was a slight overlap in souls, giving Tibiscu a supernatural air and glowing eyes. Tibiscu then realized his wrongs, and studied with the fire monks. They used magic ink give him his tattoos. Once he'd mastered his fire style, they sent him to study with the ice monks. There, he learned more about the Stone's abilities, and decided his goal. He was to claim the Stone, and separate his and Giratsu's souls, and give Giratsu back the life that was wrongly taken from him. Once he'd learned all he could from the ice monks, he ventured forth to the lightning temple. There he learned that there was to be a competition to decide the champion of the Stone. He still had more temples to visit, but wouldn't have time to study and participate in the competition. He set off to find his first opponent.
Reason for wanting the Stone: To separate his and Giratsu's souls, and return Giratsu to his body and life that were so wrongly taken from him. Afterwards take the Stone and make his own temple, and spend the rest of his life creating the Order of the Stone, to meditate and become closer to the Creator.

I'm new to these types of games and welcome to critique, and good luck to everyone!

Ramsa

Post by Ramsa » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:39 pm

Dusk there is no such thing as an op character in here. You know the whole spiel about it being more about creativity than character power. But moreover there are really powerful opponents in here. I don't see how a three-legged poodle thats blind in one eye is going to give you the leeway to write 4 wins.

AccursedBiscuit
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by AccursedBiscuit » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:28 pm

Although I would love to read those stories!
I'm no ordinary biscuit. Just look at my horns.

vidius
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by vidius » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:14 am

AccursedBiscuit wrote:Although I would love to read those stories!
Go read the original RW, there is a link in Morts opening post I think.
"Winter is coming"

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:31 am

Ramsa wrote:Dusk there is no such thing as an op character in here. You know the whole spiel about it being more about creativity than character power. But moreover there are really powerful opponents in here. I don't see how a three-legged poodle thats blind in one eye is going to give you the leeway to write 4 wins.
Pfft, you don't realise how OP my characters can be :roll:
The one I used in the last RW was literally immortal, pretty much immune to magic, and had a full-length sword built into his arm. And that was a dumbed down version of the original, who's basically all that plus hyper-advanced tech (super-computer intelligence, photon lazers, hydrogen-thruster feet, nanobots, plasma cannons, titanium-armoured skin, etc).
And he's one of the least powerful of the group, since his only real strength is not-dying - some of the others are on the planet-destroying scale of OP.

So yeah, I need to de-power them a lot for this :roll:

vidius
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by vidius » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:34 am

Dusk9 wrote:
Ramsa wrote:Dusk there is no such thing as an op character in here. You know the whole spiel about it being more about creativity than character power. But moreover there are really powerful opponents in here. I don't see how a three-legged poodle thats blind in one eye is going to give you the leeway to write 4 wins.
Pfft, you don't realise how OP my characters can be :roll:
The one I used in the last RW was literally immortal, pretty much immune to magic, and had a full-length sword built into his arm. And that was a dumbed down version of the original, who's basically all that plus hyper-advanced tech (super-computer intelligence, photon lazers, hydrogen-thruster feet, nanobots, plasma cannons, titanium-armoured skin, etc).
And he's one of the least powerful of the group, since his only real strength is not-dying - some of the others are on the planet-destroying scale of OP.
except.. you know.. its a writing competition.
"Winter is coming"

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:14 am

Exactly! How far do you think I'd get if my entry for every round boiled down to "X snaps his fingers and teleports/throws Y into the Sun"? Cause that's the sort of OP they're capable of - half of them can do that without even breaking a sweat.

If I want to have something I can actually write about, I'll need my guy to face some challenges. And currently, they are all far too powerful for anything short of a planet-consuming Galactus style enemy to pose any sort of a threat.

Hence, I need to strip them of as much power as I can, and pull them sharply back down to Earth.

AccursedBiscuit
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by AccursedBiscuit » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:19 am

Mort did make a very good point that people typically root for the underdog. So I suppose having a super-mega-ultra-super powered guy might actually help your opponent get votes.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:22 am

In the end though, it really does come down just to who is the better writer. So while Dusk's character was OP, he still did a damn good job at writing his character, which brought him far in the contest. If he hadn't slacked ran out of time when he was pitted against me, he could possibly even have won.

AccursedBiscuit
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by AccursedBiscuit » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:26 am

By the way, I looked but couldn't find a link to the original RW. Anyone mind helping me out? I'd love to read the stories. Mainly for entertainment, but I think I could get a better sense of the game that way.