Goblins Minesweepers - Resources Thread

For all Games related resources.
LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Goblins Minesweepers - Resources Thread

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:23 pm

This thread is to store every available information for my Minesweepers Game Series. The gameplay is simple to go on, but the rules might become confusing and too detailed, so this thread is to provide the players and the GM with a database to look up.

Please do not post here, anything game-related should go to the currently active game thread or to be sent in private message, thank you.

Each topic is covered in a different post, so they can be easily referenced later on.

INDEX
Last edited by LooksAndSmiles on Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Re: Goblins Minesweepers - Resources Thread

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:25 pm

Game Rules & Mechanics

Win Conditions
Each map will have it's own win condition, which will be clearly stated at the beginning. These conditions may differ, but in general you win the map if you manage to uncover all the "safe" tiles. A tile is considered safe if it does not contain a mine, or a trap. Tiles that have monsters waiting to ambush you are also considered traps.

Exploration and Movement
► Show Spoiler
Experience, Death, Experiencing Death and Deadly Experiments
► Show Spoiler
Skills and Abilities
See under Skills

Coins, Flags and Equipment
► Show Spoiler
Achievements
  • By doing certain deeds, you will unlock achievements. These will be unique, which means only 1 player can get a certain achievement!
  • There will be some Group Achievements too, which will be rewarded to the playing group as a team, and not as an individual.
  • Achievements give no additional bonuses, other than bragging rights. Be advised though that bragging too much might be bad for health. At least they said so. Those with competitive spirit know better.
Rounds, Turns and Action Timing
► Show Spoiler
Action Types
There are three kinds of actions: free actions, minor (pre or post) and main actions.
  • Free Actions can be done without restricting the other player actions, and generally have no limit on when to do them. Free actions include but are not limited to IC talk and roleplay or picking up items.
  • Minor Actions happen before or after the main action, and hence they are called "pre" or "post" actions. Minor actions are generally skill or item based, for example Answering a Call is a pre-action, Rescue is a post-action.
  • Main Actions form the backbone of player actions: Exploration, flagging, fighting, using most of the skills are considered as main actions. Each player has one main action for a turn.
Last edited by LooksAndSmiles on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:26 pm

Skills

Skill system in the game (Appearance and Equipping)
► Show Spoiler
Obtaining, Upgrading and Learning
► Show Spoiler
Skill Interactions
► Show Spoiler
Known Skill Effects
Below are the known skill effects. In parenthesis are added their class type and primary trait, if applicable. This does not mean that they are exclusive (except for most warrior skills and some spelunker / caster), but an indication in which circumstances they are likely to appear.

Spelunker
Jump (Spelunker, Agility): The user of this skill is able to land on an empty tile in distance [1+X], where X is the level of the jump. The tile must be located in a straight line from the starting point, where the line spans over the adjacent tiles lying in between them. Jumping affects only the tile the player lands on, it does not interact with the tiles inbetween.
Run (Spelunker, Agility): The player is able to move through as many adjacent tiles as his movement points + this skill's level. Running stops if all movement (or shorter specified distance) is used up, or the player falls into a trap, steps into a mine, or otherwise inhibited in their movement. Each unexplored tile passed through via this skill will be explored and evaluated accordingly. The player cannot run back and forth between the same tiles in the same turn.
Treasure! (Spelunker): Upon first spawning of the map, the player will recieve a pm, which will contain a very vague information about the whereabouts of 1 treasure item, if there is any buried on the map. Higher levels of this skill give more exact details.
Detect Traps (Spelunker, Survivalist): Spelunker only. Reveals 1 mechanical trap at 1 movement range, then it goes on a 5 turn cooldown. Grants 1 XP for every revealed trap, but does not disable said traps. Possible upgrades on level up: more traps, bigger range, shorter cooldown.
Weaponize (Spelunker): Allows [util] type equipment to be used as weapons, which deal [item level bonus + this skill level] physical damage. Warriors can pick up [util] type items with this skill, but they can use them ONLY as weapons.
Disarm Traps (Spelunker, Agility): Spelunker only. Requires [tool](like [lock picks]) or pointy stick. The player can disarm 1 easy revealed trap in movement distance, and gains equal XP of trap difficulty. Traps that are harder get +20% fail chance per difficulty level difference.
Possible upgrades: remove the item neccessity, increase simultaneously disarmable trap count, increase solveable trap difficulty.

Caster
Warning (Caster - Divine, Survival): The player recieves a warning before stepping or spawning on a tile that has a mine below. The token goes inactive and can be used again in 25 turns.
Visions (Caster - Divine): The player is able to reveal any undiscovered tile of the playfield and gains an XP. The token goes inactive and can be used again in 25 turns.
Haste (Caster - Divine, Agility): Caster Only. Target player (including self) gains +skill level movement points for the turn, then this skill goes on a 5 turn cooldown. When casted on an ally, the caster shares the XP gained from the tiles revealed in the process.
Enchant (Caster - Divine): Caster Only. Enchants any item with one skill token owned by the enchanter for the current map. The enchantment counts as an item based skill token, and stacks with any enchantment/upgrade the current item has. If the player enchants an item owned by an ally, the caster gains 1XP. Limit: 1 enchantment / map, which can be upgraded upon leveling the skill.

Push (Caster - Dark): The player is able to move an enemy on an adjacent tile in the direction pointing away. If this action results in any kind of exploration, then the pushing player recieves the XP. Fellow players cannot be pushed, only if they agree to it.
Exhaust (Caster - Dark): Caster Only. Target Non-allied creature loses all movement points for the turn, which is now granted for the Caster. Skill goes on 5 turn cooldown upon a successful cast.
Claim (Caster - Dark): Caster only. The player takes away the weapon of one enemy in melee range, provided they have empty hands to do so (or can put the current item in hand away to somewhere). As long as the player is on the map, they can use the weapons basic attack on skill level 1, and can use weapon based (warrior) skills with further level ups. When the player leaves the map for whatever reason, the weapon is dropped at their last location and is freely claimable by anyone.

Heroic
Answer the Call (Heroic): The player is able to teleport to a discovered tile next to another player, provided that player has requested help. Teleporting there happens as a free and first action of the player, who can still perform a regular action afterwards. Level 2: The player is able to teleport any unoccupied tile next to another player who requests their assistance on the same map.
Rescue (Heroic): The skill user can declare explicitly another player who they wish to rescue. In case the other player is about to step/spawn on a mine, the rescuer saves them, moving both of them out of the map. The rescuer gains 1XP for rescuing another player and is also able to perform their regular action for the turn. In case someone else is about to die, the Hero can rescue them too, but in this case the skill goes on a 5 turn cooldown
Limitations on the Rescue skill:
- You cannot rescue someone from a fight or from situtations that are not deemed life threatening.
- The rescued and the hero can not respawn in the same turn if there is no waiting list.
- First level of rescue only works on mines, but with level up can be expanded to other sources of damage.
Encouraging Shout (Heroic): The hero invigorates all nearby allies, who gain an additional "main action" for the turn. The hero gains additional main actions for the next turn, equal to the number of invigorated allies - 1.
Delivery (Heroic): The hero can move another player at the start of turn to an already explored tile anywhere on the map, then themselves return to their original position. Both the hero and the other player can peform their normal actions afterwards. Any XP gained by the other player that turn will be also rewarded to the hero. Level up possibilities: unexplored target tiles too or ability for the hero to stay next to the delivered tile.

Warrior
Formation movement (Warrior, Agility): Declare it on another player on the same map. You are allowed to move in the same pattern as the target. This movement does not exhaust your regular movement. (so you can formation move with someone else then use your regular movement.
Stone Skin (Warrior, Survival): Warrior Only. Grants immunity to basic natural slicing weapons (like claws). Upon upgrading, the immunity can be extended to other damage sources or higher tiers of existing sources.
Brothers-in-arms (Warrior): Warrior Only. If an ally is attacked by an enemy monster, the Player can teleport next turn to an explored tile next to that ally as a pre-action.
Weapon Proficiency (Warrior): Warrior Only. Grants 1 ability based on the player's favored weapon.
Sense Enemies (Warrior, Survival): Warrior Only. Reveals 1 enemy group lying in ambush in 1 movement distance, then this skill goes on a 5 turn cooldown. Grants 1XP per enemy group revealed, and the players get to first strike against them.
Battle Ready (Warrior, Agility): Warrior only. Provides a free First Strike for the player when a) steps on a tile with monsters lying in ambush, b) spawns on the map next to an enemy. This token is learnable.
Indominable (Warrior, Survivalist): The player is immune to the first crowd control effect per turn, such as knock ups/backs, stuns, lockdowns, etc...

Neutral
Dodge (Neutral, Survival): Gives 20% chance to dodge an incoming physical attack, be it melee or ranged. Possible upgrades: better % chances, dodge other attack types (1 new type / level: traps, ambush first strikes, non-mind spells, 1 mine explosion / level).
Power Surge (Neutral): Increases the physical power of the player.
+1 Tile (Neutral): Can be combined / melded with other skills to increase their range / efficiency.

Skill / Action Combos
Most actions and skills are main actions, which means only one of them can be performed in one turn. However, certain combinations can be performed in a single turn, resulting in a skill similar, but not entirely the same as the parts it consists of. Combos are stronger than normal skills, but using them constantly leads to early exhaustion (see status effects).

Push + Whip: Yank: Move the target towards the direction of the player or to a possible neighbouring tile.
Jump + Pole: Pole Vault: Doubles the range of jumping distance, provided there is a firm spot to land the pole on (e.g.: no quicksand, water, void, etc.). Does not work if there is an insurmountable obstacle inbetween (e.g. force field or too big height difference).
Run + Sword Attack: Assault: A sword attack with increased damage on the next tile, which is in line with the direction of the run. The run has to be on a straight line, each tile passed (including the last tile the player steps on) adds +1 to the damage.
Jump + Push: Cannon Ball: A push with increased efficiency, the further the jump starts, the stronger.
Run + Jump: Long Jump: Run on the tiles specified, followed up by the Jump. The running must happen in the same straight direction as the jumping, which range can be increased by 1 tile per every 2 tiles ran in the appropriate direction.
Jump + Arrow Shoot: Air Strike: The player jumps up (and lands on the same tile), and shoots an arrow at the target tile. The maximum range of the shot is increased by the possible range that can be reached by jumping.

Weapon Abilities
Weapon abilities are Major actions and require an appropriate type of weapon in the main hand. These abilities are granted either by leveling up [Weapon Mastery], or by enchanting the weapons.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Warpaints
Goblins who are elected leaders recieve a warpaint, which bestows another ability to use, without occupying any of the existing skill slots. The warpaints are organized in different families, and - as the leader progresses -, can be further developed.
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by LooksAndSmiles on Fri May 01, 2015 2:07 pm, edited 5 times in total.

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:27 pm

Shop & Market Bazaar

You can buy equipment for your goblin in these shops, provided you have the neccessary amount of coins...

General Store
.[tabs:Weapons]
A goblin sword - 6 coins
A whip - 6 coins
A goblin bow with a quiver of 5 arrows - 6 coins
A quiver of 5 arrows - 3 coins
[tabs:Armor & Clothing]
A fine pair of boots - 4 coins
A pair of comfortable trousers - 4 coins
A warm leather jacket - 3 coins
A goblin round shield - 6 coins
A tophat - 3 coins
A fedora - 3 coins
[tabs:Utilities]
A pointy stick - 2 coins
A 10ft pole - 6 coins
A detector - 20 coins
A frying pan - 3 coins
A Y-shaped stick - 2 coins
[tabs:Flags]
A bundle of 3 basic flags - 3 coins
A flag with a thickened pole and a button - 6 coins
A flag with a small orb on the top - 6 coins
A flag with a fuse on it - 6 coins
[tabs:Miscellaneous]
A mug - 1 coin
A pile of bones - 2 coins
A bag of marbles - 2 coins
A candle - 1 coin

A piece of candy - 1 coin
A piece of mouldy bread - 1 coin
A tin of food (without an opener) - 1 coin
A tin of food (with an opener) - 3 coins

A guitar - 6 coins
A harmonica - 3 coins
A flute - 3 coins
[tabs:Magic Items]
A pebble of Teleportation - 12 coins
A shiny gem - 30 coins[/tabs]

Information Discovered About Equipment
► Show Spoiler

Skill Slot Machine
Needs to be unlocked

Has Seen a Lot's Skill Bazaar
Needs to be unlocked
Last edited by LooksAndSmiles on Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:27 pm

Achievements

Movement/Exploration
Bouncing Burt: "Easy Choice", for finding the highest number on a labyrinth layout map.
Stumbles around: "The Finishing Touch", for revealing the last safe tile on a map.
Goska Bluey: "Unheeds Warnings", for stepping on a tile flagged by someone else.
Goska Bluey: "Safe Walker", for making 5 steps in already explored tiles.
Oh See That Shiny: "Give Me Five!", for uncovering a tile with at least a "5" on it.
Bouncing Burt: "First Step Token...", for finding a Skill Token.
Tries-and-Dies: "Pirate Wannabe", for finding a hidden treasure!
Finds Mines: "Explorer", for finding an empty tile.
Finds Mines: "Small Step for a Goblin...", for being the first to step onto the map!
Finds Mines is the longest record holder of not dying: 1 Level and 13 XP.

Flagging
See Four: "Pioneer", for placing the first correct flag.
Step-and-Boom (yellow): "Mistaking Is Human Goblin", for misplacing a flag (that remained there until evaluation).
Tries-and-Dies: "FLAGILE! Handle With Care!", for placing at least 5 flags.
Finds Mines: "Banner Bearer", for placing the first flag.

Personal
No-Legs: "Decisive", for locking down a skill.
No-Legs: "Bringer of Beauty", for making awesome female sprites for the starting players.
Finds Mines: "A Leveled Voice", for being the first one to level up.
Finds Mines: "Eager to Play" for posting an action first in 5 consecutive Turns.
Peg-leg Sue: "Gentlemangoblin", for voluntarily circling out.
Bouncing Burt: "First Blood", for being the first to die.
Goska Bluey: "Chief in Training", for getting the first level in Leadership.

Interaction
Bada Boom: "Had a Sinking Feeling", for being the first to die in a sink-trap.
No-Legs: "Huntress", for being the first to slay a monster.
Oh See That Shiny: "Plays With Things", for using an item as intended.
Bouncing Burt: "It's Not the Mines That Trouble Me", for being the first to die in combat.
Step-and-Boom (yellow): "Name Your Poison", for dying of poisoning.
Finds Mines: "What That Do?", for interacting with a map item.
Finds Mines: "It's a Trap!", for luring a monster into a mine.
Goska Bluey: "Wanna Be F(r)iends?", for committing the first evil act.

Group
Group Achievement: "Each To Their Own", for letting someone die a slow death in a trap. (Round 1, Turn 15)
Group Achievement: "Busy Sweeping", for at least 5 people placing flags in a turn. (Round 1, Turn 7)
Group Achievement: "Conga Line", for each waiting player being able to spawn due to circling out / death / etc. (Round 1, Turn 4)
Group Achievement: "Meticulous", for not leaving a single tile behind. (Round 0, Turn 18)
Group Achievement: "You Are Getting the Hang of It", because noone died this turn. (Round 0, Turn 7)